We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walk behind waterfall

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Tn
walk behind waterfall

I recall reading about a waterfall that you could walk behind & I can't remember which one. It seems like they stated it was an easy hike.

Anybody got any info??

Also we may have to change our dates from the end of Sept.

Is the 1st week in October really crowded?? Or would the 1st week in November be better?

Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
1. Re: walk behind waterfall

I believe the waterfall you are referring to is Grotto Falls. The trail head is off of the Roaring Fork Motor Trail. You get to the motor trail from light #8 in town. If you go to: http://www.discoverthesmokies.com and scroll down, there is a virtual tour of the motor trail that includes info on the falls.

As far as which weekend would be least crowded, I would think that November would be the least, but that would not stop me from going in October. You can always find ways around the traffic. Color wise, we have been there on the third weekend in Oct. and the colors were beautiful.. November I can not comment on.

Smokiesgrl

Gatlinburg...
reviews: 5
2. Re: walk behind waterfall

You may have better colors in the first weekend of Nov over the 1st weekend in Oct. It will just depend on how the colors come out this year. The crowds will be less in Nov.

I have been before in early Nov when the colors are just turning.

West Tn
3. Re: walk behind waterfall

Thanks for the replies.

I will definately check the Motor Trail out.

Hopefully we won't have to change our dates. I think I would enjoy the lighter crowds in November. The only thing is, I believe the Indian Village closes the end of October. I guess we can still visit the reservation though.

We have been to several falls close up but never behind one. Looking forward to it.

MountainMan, don't worry, I'm not afaid of water. I won't melt!!