We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping sites

Which Grand Marais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SW Wisconsin
reviews: 1
Camping sites

Hi, Any one know if there are any camping site open in the fall along the north shore? We are wanting to camp and enjoy the sites the second weekend in October. Thanks!! Linda

MN
reviews: 28
1. Re: Camping sites

Many camping facilities start to close around the 15th of October so you may just make it! Are you tenting, rv-ing or needing full hook ups?

You could try Grand Marais RV Park & Campground ranging from about $20-$30 per night - 1-800-998-0959

There are also a lot of cabins available.

Try www dot grandmarais dot com

iowa
reviews: 5
2. Re: Camping sites

I love staying at the Nor'Wester along the Gunflint Trail (about 1/2 way down)

http://www.norwesterlodge.com/

I have stayed there numerous times in the fall and it is gorgeous! Right on a lake. The campground has 6 campsites and a nice bathroom compared to others I have been in. They also have free firewood if you stay there.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 87
3. Re: Camping sites

Also consider the MN Dept. of Natural Resources campsite website:

http://www.stayatmnparks.com/

You can select by area, and then it appears they tell you the reservable season in 2009. For example, Temperance River State Park, about 30 miles south of Grand Marais proper, shows open through the end of October.

Minneapolis
reviews: 7
4. Re: Camping sites

There's camping at six of the North Shore's seven state parks. Split Rock, which doesn't have very many sites, is the hardest-to-get reservation in the state, followed by Temperance River and Tettegouche. Gooseberry Falls, Judge C.R. Magney and Cascade River also are in the Top 10 most popular camping parks in Minnesota.

So reserve now for fall weekends. Campsites at the inland Crosby Manitou State Park, east of Finland, are easiest to get. Check them out at www.mnstateparks.info.

Beth at MidwestWeekends.com

Minnesota
reviews: 33
5. Re: Camping sites

The 2nd week in October is a great time to be camping along the north shore. The sites will be full at probably all of the campgrounds. The state parks do keep a few sites that are non-reservable (first come first serve). In addition, depending upon what you are camping in you could try the Superior Forest campgrounds. These are a little more remote but are perfect for tenters.

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Grand Marais
reviews: 20
6. Re: Camping sites

Second weekend in October is a nice time. The state parks mentioned by others are all great options. I'd also suggest some of the US Forest service campgrounds in the area. For example, the campgrounds at Devils Track and Two Island Lake just out of grand marais are very nice. Check with the forest service, though, I'm not sure when they shut them down for the winter season. Also, the rec park in Grand marais has some very nice sites right on the big lake and can be very pretty in the fall with the option to warm up in town if the weather gets nasty.

7. Re: Camping sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 30, 2010