We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from another trip....questions?

Which Grand Marais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Grand Marais
reviews: 18
Just back from another trip....questions?

Had another great weekend in GM. Anyone looking for answers?

7 replies to this topic
Chicago
reviews: 170
1. Re: Just back from another trip....questions?

how are the skeeters and biting beach flies?

waterfalls flowing?

heading up there next weekend for 3 days near lutsen and another 2-3 days near bayfield, WI....

thanks, ST

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
2. Re: Just back from another trip....questions?

We've had a lot of rain so the bugs were a bit thick, but not the worst I've ever seen. Lots of rain means great waterfalls, though...lots of water flowing!

Chicago
3. Re: Just back from another trip....questions?

thanks for the info

Brookfield...
4. Re: Just back from another trip....questions?

We're an adventurous family of four (two teenage boys) going up to the Grand Marais area for about five days starting next week-end. Would appreciate your thoughts on the following:

We enjoy hiking and biking. What are your top 4-5 trails (2-4 hour hikes) to hike or bike while we're up there? Related to this, what are the two or three best state parks to visit within an hour of Grand Marais?

We're staying at a cabin on Devils Track lake and will want to do some fishing. There are boat rentals on that lake but it's late in the fishing season and I'm kinda wondering how good the fishing is. Also understand that there's stream fishing around Grand Marais. Do you have any suggestions on fishing Devils Track lake, other lakes in the area, or stream fishing? The boys are not patient fishermen.

Thanks for any insights provided. This is our first time to the area (from Milwaukee area) and we're really looking forward to the trip.

Chicago
5. Re: Just back from another trip....questions?

in reference to post #4, here's a link to more links related to our recent trip to the area.....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28944-i371-k67050…

didn't fish much---the boys threw their lines in, bud din't catch anything, but they had fun...

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
6. Re: Just back from another trip....questions?

I wouldn't say it's late in the fishing as a bad thing. I would actually say you'd be there just as the fishing season picks back up after the mid-summer doldrums. I think Sept-Oct is the best time to fish (fewer flies and skeeters too), so that means we're not too far away. I usually avoid fishing in the dead of summer.

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
7. Re: Just back from another trip....questions?

Sorry for the delay in answering. We were just up in Grand Marais and have been off the grid for a few days. You've got lots of good questions. First of all...it's great fishing season right now. My sister's up there now and they're having great luck on Devil's Track and nearby Two Island Lake. The blueberry crop is also spectacular this year and there should still be some by next weekend...so look for them on your hikes. We ate them until we almost burst while hiking the magnetic rock trail (a really nice 2 hour hike about 40 miles up the gunflint trail.) Other favorite hikes in the area would be: Devils kettle trail in Judge Magney Park, Eagle Mountain(highest point in MN), Hike to the upper falls at Grand Portage State Park (2 hour roundtrip), Oberg Mountain, Caribou Falls (short hike), The Superior Hiking Trail near the Devil's track river, and on and on...there are literally hundreds of great trails in the area. Try this link for a good listing of trails: …usda.gov/Internet/…stelprdb5196313.pdf

One other fishing thought for you if you are feeling adventurous is to try a Lake Trout fishing charter on Lake Superior....spendy, but can be fun. Or, go to the North House Folk School in town and take a sunset ride on their sailboat the Hjordis. It's a beautiful ride. Feel free to send more questions if you have them...it's a great place to explore!

Reply to: Just back from another trip....questions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted