We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?

Which Grand Marais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 2
Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?

There are many outfitters on the Gunflint trail that will supply the equipment for a canoe trip into the BWCA - anyone have any experiences they can share? We are looking for a 3-4 day trip with 4 adults.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

9 replies to this topic
Stillwater...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?

Ron, I let this sit for a couple of days to see if someone would answer you, but no luck. Yes there are a lot of outfitters on the Gunflint, however I do not have any experience with them, I do have experience with one on the Sawbill Trail, Sawbill Canoe Outfitters, and they are excellent. Can not recommend them enough. But they are based at the end of the Sawbill Trail, not the Gunflint. They do outfit East and West of their location though.

http://www.sawbill.com/

Perhaps you could post your question on a forum dedicated to the BWCA, try this link:

www.bwca.com/index.cfm…

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
2. Re: Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?

I have used Gunflint Northwoods OUtfitters, and it was good. Good selection. Prices were good. Prompt on dropoff and pickup.

The reason I didn't mention is that the last time I used them was about 7 years ago, because the more recent treks to BWCA went through Ely, not Gunflint

Grand Marais...
reviews: 21
3. Re: Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?

Hi Ron,

First off, I own one of the outfitting companies on the Gunflint Trail-Clearwater Lodge and Outfitters. Attempting to be as unbiased as I can be, I think that most of the outfitters on the trail do a very good job. I've worked with most of them in either combined marketing efforts or in sharing canoes and have been impressed with most of them. If I was you, and didn't have a strong opinion about a company then I'd pick an outfitter close to my entry point. Pretty much all of the outfitters on the Gunflint have the same prices, and I believe that most of us treat our customers well. According to tripadvisor reviews Clearwater, Bearskin, Voyageur, Gunflint and Rockwood are the top rated outfitters. So I'd say the biggest difference would be location. Clearwater and Bearskin are just before the halfway point of the trail(you'll drive by them to go to any Gunflint trail entry point), Rockwood is just past the halfway point (Poplar Lake) Gunflint is about 3/4s of the way down the trail and Voyageur is at the end of the trail.

Grand Marais, MN
reviews: 1
4. Re: Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?

Hi Ron,

We also own one of the outfitters on the Gunflint Trail called Seagull Outfitters. We access the entire Gunflint Trail as well as the Quetico Park of Ontario. Please google our website and we would be happy to help you!

Seagull Outfitters

Stillwater...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?

Ron, I agree with Adam, most outfitters will serve you well. Pick one close to your entry point.

If you haven't decided on an entry point yet, you can search the reservation system for openings at;

www.recreation.gov/wildernessAreaDetails.do…

I haven't met the "new" owners at Clearwater yet, but their lodge is a thing of beauty.

http://www.clearwaterhistoriclodge.com/

Grand Marais
reviews: 37
6. Re: Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?

I'll chime in as another owner of an outfitting business on the Gunflint Trail. My husband and I have owned and operated Voyageur Canoe Outfitters since 1993. We love what we do and where we live and would love to be your Gunflint Trail outfitter for your BWCA or Quetico Park canoe trip.

Feel free to read through our Trip Advisor reviews tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60837-d1903632… and visit our website at http://www.canoeit.com.

We pride ourselves on offering the best there is in customer service and quality of equipment. We know your vacation time is precious and we'll do everything in our power to make sure you have an excellent wilderness experience.

We hope to see you at Voyageur, where the trail ends and your Voyage begins...

Sue Prom

Boundary Waters Blog Lady

http://www.boundarywatersblog.com

Minnesota
7. Re: Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?

Ron,

I am a bit slower answering my email, but as you can see from all the replies you did receive all the outfitters along the Gunflint Trail work together. We all pretty much have the same equipment that you may need for a canoe trip and we are all very knowledgeable about the many different canoe routes located in the Boundary Waters as well as the neighboring Quetico park. It is basically all about the entry point that you want to enter from on the Gunflint Trail.

I hope you have a great time exploring our area of the Boundary Waters.

Bonnie Schudy

Manager of Gunflint Northwoods Outfitters

www.gunflintoutfitters.com

Woodstock, Vermont
reviews: 15
8. Re: Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?

I just stayed for over a week with my adult children at a cabin owned by Seagull Outfitters. WE had a wonderful time and the service and support from the outfitters was outstanding.

Dan Richardson

Grand Marais
reviews: 37
9. Re: Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?

Glad to hear you had a great time on the Gunflint Trail. Fantastic weather too? Hope to see you at Voyageur in the future.

Reply to: Outfitters on Gunflint Trail?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted