We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall color update

Which Grand Marais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stillwater...
reviews: 8
Fall color update

Got home late last night, too late to post. Wanted to let everyone know how things are looking.

The maples are on fire right now, birch and popples are lagging behind. Lots of green still in the trees. most of the shrubs have changed colors.

If you can, this is the week to be on the North Shore. The temps. are supposed to be in the 60's.

The trails I was on didn't have a lot of color, the leaves are still green and holding on tight. We had rain Friday and Saturday, with 15- 25 mph winds all weekend. Yesterday was gorgeous, with perfect blue skies and temps in the 50's. Superior was flat, a great day to be on the shore.

While we are only a few miles from the Gunflint, I never made it there to see those maples, but the ones by us were bright red, as I mentioned. I drove up the Sawbill Trail by Briton Peak, from the overlook there I could see lots of green, guessing the peak of colors to be about a week away. Then I drove the Heartbreak Hill road, the maples had lots of color but were not at peak. When I got around Crooked Lake those maples were the best I seen, truly on fire!! And more of the birch/popples were turned. Seen pockets of color around Isabella, and was very surprised to see tamaracks turning N. of Two Harbors.

If you hear reports that there is no color, don't believe it. The North Shore is nearing peak right now, how long it will last is anyones guess. I've seen the birch turn from green to yellow in a couple of days.

2 replies to this topic
minneapolis
reviews: 134
1. Re: Fall color update

Thanks for the update yucatan07... I totally agree, the colors I'm seeing are still worth the drive. I hope you don't get any hard winds to blow everything away before the weekend.

Stillwater...
reviews: 8
2. Re: Fall color update

I was very surprised last weekend, with the 15-25 mph winds, that few leaves were blowing off the trees. Winds this week are for less then 10mph, thats good news. Those maples should hold on tight for another weekend. And now the birch should catch up with their color.

Reply to: Fall color update
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted