We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Dry Ice in Grand Marais?

Which Grand Marais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peoria, Illinois
reviews: 2
Buying Dry Ice in Grand Marais?

Does anyone know where we might buy dry ice in Grand Marais? We will be up there in September and are hoping to catch enough fish to bring some home. However, we have a 12-13 hour ride back home and I'd like to use dry ice to keep it nice and frozen and not have to worry about dumping water & adding fresh ice every few hours.

Thanks in advance for any help!

6 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
1. Re: Buying Dry Ice in Grand Marais?

I don't know of a place in Grand Marais. Being that it is a popular launch point into the Boundary Waters I would be surprised if there is no one selling it.

But you could always rely on regular ice until you get to Duluth on your way back and stop at Praxair. They have dry ice there. Then the majority of your trip you avoid the baling water routine

Peoria, Illinois
2. Re: Buying Dry Ice in Grand Marais?

Thanks! We will be driving home on a Wednesday so they will be open. Do we have to order it ahead of time or can we just go in and buy whatever quantity we need?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
3. Re: Buying Dry Ice in Grand Marais?

I would call to ensure availability and timing for your drive back to IL works for them. I would call before you leave IL just in case they won't have availability for some reason and you don't start your trip presuming they will.

There is a place in Superior that sells it as well but I do not have the name -- but could dig it up if you find Praxair won't have it after all

Peoria, Illinois
4. Re: Buying Dry Ice in Grand Marais?

Looked up the place in Superior, it is Lakeshore Ice Co. I will give both places a call before we head out.

Thanks for all of your help!

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Grand Marais
5. Re: Buying Dry Ice in Grand Marais?

You might also try calling a couple of the local bait shops like the Beaver House. They might carry dry ice locally. Also, the dockside fish market might be worth a try too

on the river
reviews: 4
6. Re: Buying Dry Ice in Grand Marais?

Sometimes the tackle shop in Two Harbors has it. Been looking for a good place to get it on the way back from Ontario fishing the first week of October for years. Praxair in Duluth is the best bet but not open 7 days a week. Anymore I just take some of the blue ice. Or trip home is about the same and it will keep stuff frozen in a good cooler packed tight. Also if you go thru Rice Lake, WI (route 53 a hour or so south of Superior) there is a place just north of town that has it 99% of the time. It is called Northstar Bison.

Edited: 9:19 am, September 13, 2012
Reply to: Buying Dry Ice in Grand Marais?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted