We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Marais Trip Report

Which Grand Marais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 61
Grand Marais Trip Report

We were in Grand Marais (our very first visit) for only one evening and the next morning; however, we tried to see as much as possible while there. We traveled nearly five hours from Wisconsin to Duluth. Then, we traveled east on Hwy. 61 and stopped at Gooseberry Falls Park, where we picked up some pamphlets on the many attractions on the North Shore. We arrived in Grand Marais, checked into the Best Western, then we continued our ride to Thunder Bay, Ontario. We brought our passports and even stopped in Grand Portage for some Canadian money.

Back to Best Western (loved this place!) on Lake Superior in Grand Marais for late afternoon. We took a walk around the town of Grand Marais--very user-friendly, walking town. We ate at the Dockside Restaurant--we would NOT recommend eating here..much like a grocery-store-style service. Customers order in line (like at Donald's),and bottles of beer are served without a glass so everyone swirls down the beer from their bottles. The fish'n chips specials are over-rated and skimpy...the cod was horrid. Maybe their fresh &smoked fish are better, but we decided to never go there again. As we strolled the town after supper, we noticed the posted Crooked Spoon menu sounded much better..we will try that place next visit.

Next, we went to Beth's Fudge shop ( we liked this place!). It was welcoming and seemed very popular with the Sunday tourists. We also enjoyed a frozen custard at Sydney's which is on the way to Artists' Point.....loved the vanilla bean custard there. Then, we walked to Artists' Point and the lighthouse......highly recommend this walk as you get really close to Lake Superior.

On our way home the next day,we stopped at the downtown,Grand Marais World's Best Donut Shop...yummy glazed donuts!! Also, we stopped at Betty's Pies as we headed west on Hwy 61 back to Duluth...we highly recommend stopping for a piece of pie!!

Obviously, we didn't have a chance to see a whole lot in just a one-night stay; however, we plan to see a whole lot more next visit. We really enjoyed the town of Grand Marais!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 17
1. Re: Grand Marais Trip Report

great trip report - thx

how was Thunder Bay? I'm planning my North Shore trip for this Oct, and will head up to TB for the first time in about 5 years.

Illinois
reviews: 61
2. Re: Grand Marais Trip Report

Hello Downtown: Wish I could give you more info. on Thunder Bay, but we just drove around Thunder Bay. We had a pamphlet on it so we had a pretty good map. Since we had been in the car most of the day, we were anxious to get to Grand Marais for the night. T.B is not too far from the border crossing, so it seemed like an easy drive. There is a neat place called the Fort Williams Historical landmark in T.B...supposed to be worth visiting....just follow the sign.... left on Broadway Ave. then on King's Road. Kakabeka(sp) waterfall is also supposed to be a nice visit. That is all I have to share.

We were rather short on time so we headed back to Grand Marais.

You know, it sounds as if we ate our way through the North Shore.....didn't realize that I included so much info. on the meals...but we wanted to taste bits and pieces of the culture.

Our only regret is that we didn't have a chance to stay another nigh tin G.M.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 9
3. Re: Grand Marais Trip Report

Old Fort William is a great place to spend a day and if you really explore it, it will take most of a day. When we were there it had people in costume telling about what life would have been like when the fort was an operating fur trade fort.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 17
4. Re: Grand Marais Trip Report

I remember the fort from years back. It is fun.

5. Re: Grand Marais Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 24, 2011