We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Flies

Which Grand Marais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 31
Black Flies

How are the black flies this time of year (late May 2010). headiing up Thursday before Memorial Day and want to be ready.

minneapolis
reviews: 134
1. Re: Black Flies

I'm pretty sure it's fine on the north shore right now. I think they need a warm spell to become a problem, and I don't think Grand Marais has gotten much of that yet. It will likely get bad within the next month once it gets warmer.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 31
2. Re: Black Flies

I know it's been really warm up there. Close to 80. Very dry as well. Yikes.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 40
3. Re: Black Flies

Not sure about Grand Marais, but the Ely area is now "enjoying" the gnats this last week. They are out in force and hopefully you will not have them there on your trip!

minneapolis
reviews: 134
4. Re: Black Flies

Sounds like I stand corrected. The bugs have just come out in the cities this week. I had heard the north was still pretty cool up until the past 1-2 weeks. Thanks for the great posts TripAdvisors!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 40
5. Re: Black Flies

This weekend I was at a lake north of Hibbing and its amazing how many horseflies and deer flies were out already. The water is so warm already and I think this has sped up the number of bugs out already.

6. Re: Black Flies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 27, 2010