We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some advice for the coming trip

Which Page hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redwood City...
reviews: 3
Need some advice for the coming trip

Hi All,

Here is our plan for our upcoming trip and we need some advice.

6/30 My husband and I are going to arrive in Las Vegas at 2:00pm, then get a rental and drive to page. That's about 4.5 hour drive on google map, so we'll probably get to page around 7 or 8ish. We might go to check out Lake powell (Wahweap Overlook?)sunset if we arrive not too late and don't feel too tired. Staying at Comfort Inn.

On 7/1, we plan to do the lower antelope in the morning, then join a 11am or 12pm regular prime time tour at upper antelope canyon. We still haven't decided whether to do the photography tour for the lower, since we are not sure if we'll bring the tripod. And according to the lower antelope canyon tour website, everyone needs to have a (d)slr and a tripod to get a photographer pass. We only have one and I don't want my husband to wait for me for an hour outside. I don't know how strict they are with that rule. How much time does it take to drive from the lower antelope canyon parking lot to the upper antelope canyon parking lot? Do we need to reserve a tour for upper or we can just go? After upper antelope canyon, we are going to horse shoe bend. Any good sandwich place that we can get something in the morning for the lunch? We just checked the weather and it seems that it will be 106F that day, so should we just take the afternoon off and rest in the hotel? Any other suggestion for the afternoon? For the evening, we can do the lake powell sunset if we haven't done it the day before. Or maybe dinner at antelope point marina.

7/2 Glen Dam or anything else that you guys would suggest in the morning, then drive to Moab UT. We'd like to get to Arches NP for the delicate arch sunset if possible. We lose an hour when we go from AZ to UT, right?

Any activities that you will suggest for 7/1 afternoon and/or 7/2 morning?

Clothing suggestions? We are from bay area, so not used to this hot weather. Any bug/mosquito problems? Do we need bug repellent?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
1. Re: Need some advice for the coming trip

The drive from Lower AC to Upper AC takes about 1-2 minutes, literally. However, if you arrive at Upper AC near mid day, you should anticipate a crowd and likely a wait. The only way to prebook a tour at that time would be to book with one of the tour companies in town. That would mean a 15 minute drive from Lower AC back to town, check in for the tour, and they will drive you the 15 minutes back to Upper AC and the tour. You pick.

Best advice for clothing is comfort and natural fabrics. Long sleeves can actually keep you cooler. A wide brim hat will give you shade and shade has value, where ever you can find it. Stay hydrated.

If it was my trip, I'd choose to do the Glen Canyon raft trip and just one AC tour. Add the Horseshoe Bend Overlook hike and your itinerary is full.

www.raftthecanyon.com

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
reviews: 485
2. Re: Need some advice for the coming trip

Yes, they are strict about photographer [pass at Lower. I heard them turn back a few people with very large cameras and great equipment because they didn't have a tripod - stupid, but their call. Lower and upper are right across the street from each other, so driving from one to the other takes about two minutes. You don't need a reservation for upper, except if you want a specific spot over noon which is when the crowd hit, and where the numbers of people they admit have been lowered (and rates increased at the same time).

Leave Horseshoe Bend for the following morning, as the light is bad late in the afternoon. The sun is in your eyes and the rock walls you want to take pictures of is in blackest shadow against the sun. Mid morning is best wen the sun is a good way above the horizon behind you. Up to mid afternoon is okay, but before sunset it's the worst for taking pictures.

Wahweap Overlook is perfect for sundown. Normally in the summer time there is no big problem, but this has been a strange year and we HAVE had lots of bugs even down here in the desert - and SE Utah was horrendous. I haven't been to Page this year, but maybe pack some repellent, doesn't take much space, or you can always buy some, there's a Walmart outside Page.

And yes, Utah is one hour later than Page.

Pity you don't have a night for Monument Valley, you'll be passing it when driving from Page to Moab.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
reviews: 7
3. Re: Need some advice for the coming trip

You will not want to go to Horseshoe Bend in the heat of the afternoon. There is no shade and you will be walking in sand (part of which is uphill). Save it for the morning of 7/2 as Esty suggested.

The Glen Canyon Dam is a good thing to visit on a hot afternoon. Spend time in the visitors center, watch the movies about the building of the dam, take a tour of the dam. For the tour, you will be outside for a short bit, then descend an elevator into the cool dam.

Also make a stop at the Dam overlook which is on Scenic View Dr near Denny's restaurant.

Be sure to stay hydrated, even if you don't feel thirsty. Can't stress this enough. People can get dehydrated faster than they think, and don't even realize it until it is too late.

Have a great trip!

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
reviews: 171
4. Re: Need some advice for the coming trip

Janss, glad you mentioned the Dam overlook by Denny's. Not frequently mentioned and we discovered it by accident a couple of years ago. We were driving past and saw the sign and drove in. Loved it. Now we visit regularly when in Page.

Redwood City...
5. Re: Need some advice for the coming trip

Thank you guys for all the info. We'll take your advice and do the dam in the afternoon and horse shoe bend the next day morning. The raft tour looks fun to me, but somehow my husband is not interested. =P

For Monument Valley, how long does it take if we just drive through their scenic drive and take a look? Just wondering if we can fit it in our schedule. I know we won't be able to get the sunset view there, but if we are driving pass it, might as well stop and take a look if we have time.

Redwood City...
6. Re: Need some advice for the coming trip

Just found an old post from RedRox (thx man!) that the scenic drive is dirt road, so i guess we won't be able to do it, since we are driving a rental.

Is the road up to visitor center paved? If so, maybe we can stop by at the visitor center and take a look out at the Mittens, if you guys think it's worthwhile. Otherwise, we might just stop on Hwy 163 and see some monoliths from there.

7. Re: Need some advice for the coming trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 27, 2014