We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

Which Page hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Merida, Yucatan
Destination Expert
for Merida
reviews: 91
Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

I was very pleased to see this road will be paved as it will help reduce the impact of the detour. The authorities said the project would be concluded by 'early summer'. Has any work actually started? I'm going to be there early Aug.

Thanks for all feedback.

29 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 116
1. Re: Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

Don't count on it. It is a priority project but until they announce the completion it is not an option. For now, plan to use the primary detour route. It's not that big of a deal since you have plenty of time for planning. If your timing is THAT close, you're trying to do too much anyway.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 43
2. Re: Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

Latest update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms485OYG_zA

Merida, Yucatan
Destination Expert
for Merida
3. Re: Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

Thanks for the video link, Tet14.

We will be arriving in Page from GC North Rim and when we leave we will be going to Bryce. I see that we would have to go through Kanab to get to Page. We really wanted to see Navajo Bridge and Horseshoe Bend during our 3 days in Page. Are these two now very difficult to get to? That's what the AZDOT map seems to show.

Merida, Yucatan
Destination Expert
for Merida
4. Re: Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

Sorry, just seen that Horseshoe Bend is easily accessible. What about the bridge?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
5. Re: Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

To get to Navajo Bridge, you would need to take the detour. You can get to Page from the north rim either via Kanab, or across Navajo Bridge, then take the detour.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
6. Re: Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

The detour via Marble Canyon/Navajo Bridges app will app take an extra 30 miles instead of the detour via Kanab.

Merida, Yucatan
Destination Expert
for Merida
7. Re: Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

Could someone confirm the drive times from North Rim to Page via Kanab and Navajo Bridge? The map I'm getting from Mapquest shows going via Tuba City will take 1 hour 45 mins longer, which doesn't equate with Tet's comment that it is only 30 miles extra.

Also I am trying to see how the following comment, ''It’s also important to note that US 89A is not affected by the closure. So if you’re heading to the Grand Canyon's north rim (when it opens up for the season in mid-May), Fredonia, Lees Ferry or Marble Canyon, the detour won't impact your drive.''

from …blogspot.mx/2013/04/us-89-detours-offer-acc…

fits in with what I'm seeing on the map. Whichever way I do it, to get from North Rim to Page will take longer, won't it?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 116
8. Re: Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

Tet's time estimate was probably on the low side. I'd add 90 minutes and trust the information you have.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
9. Re: Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

Yes, typo sorry about that. App 90 miles longer/

Merida, Yucatan
Destination Expert
for Merida
10. Re: Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)

There is a promising update here on the project.

azdailysun.com/news/local/4fcac020-c3bc-11e2…

Reply to: Navajo Route 20 (aka Coppermine Road)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted