We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White water rafting from Page

Which Page hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 2
White water rafting from Page

Hi, We are going to Page in late September. We were hoping to do a day trip of white water rafting. Is there a company that is within easy driving distance and my adventurous 13 year old would be able to do. She has not done this before.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
1. Re: White water rafting from Page

It's not really white water rafting, but the half day trip from Glen Canyon Dam to Lees Ferry gets fabulous reviews on this board. grandcanyon.com/…2

The big white water is inside the Grand Canyon, but that trip begins at Lees Ferry and doesn't end until 7 days later at Lake Mead. The only option for getting off the raft early, is after 3 days when you get off at Phantom Ranch and then you have to climb up and out of the Grand Canyon. That's 9 miles, and the 3 day trip costs close to $1K.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 117
2. Re: White water rafting from Page

If you want a day with white water you'll have to head for Moab. There you can take the Westwater canyon day trip and have a great time.

London, United...
reviews: 8
3. Re: White water rafting from Page

We did the Half day trip last September from Glen Canyon dam down to Lees Ferry, great trip. Be sure to go in the afternoon it was nice and warm. You can go to Horseshoe bend in the morning to see just where you will be going later in the day.

I went there last year after taking advice from kbecjeans excellent listen to this person for good advice.

We are going back there this year kbecjeans, is Moab the nearest place for white water? as its rather a long trek from Page? arrive September 4th

This year we are going to visit Yosemite too, if that place is half as good as Bryce/Zion then I will be impressed.

San Fransisco straight to Yosemite > Death Valley > St George (for Zion) > Panguitch for Bryce > Page for 3 nights > Grand Canyon > Las Vegas then home. 16 nights this time.

Last year we treked in the Grand canyon 06:10 down South Kaibab stopped at the Phantom ranch for chocolate 1 beer and a chat then along the river and up Bright Angel. 9 hours on one of the best days of my life! Zion Canyon as you advised Angels Landing, the Narrows you were right what a place. Is there more that we can visit/trek? Regards Kevin

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: White water rafting from Page

There's also whitewaterrafting in Bluff, Utah.

Re your next years trip. St. George is one hour from Zion. Nothing wrong with it but Springdale might be more convenient. Same goes for Panguitch. Also nothing wrong with that but at some distance from Bryce. Make your reservations for Yosemite (and other NP's) far in advance.

Tet

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
5. Re: White water rafting from Page

Hey kmarsh, some very nice things to say. Thank you.

Westwater is the best 1 day trip imho. Not too long or fast and enough rapids to keep you happy.

There is a one day trip, again out of Moab, going 100 miles down the Colorado to Cataract Canyon, but wow, don't know how you can really appreciate the rapids, the river or the canyon when you go that fast. More than half the experience is letting the canyon soak into your consciousness.

A one day trip from Bluff to Mexican Hat on the San Juan would be an awesome day, (if again a little fast imo) but not much whitewater. I think the only named rapid in that stretch is 8 foot rapid, (rated II ?). When I went down the San Juan last March we took three days to get to Mexican Hat. It was not a smooth water trip, the continual sand waves saw to that, but when we got to 8 foot rapids we couldn't tell the difference between it and the sand waves. That might change some with low water.

Desolation Canyon from Green River has plenty of whitewater, but those are 4 or 5 day trips.

There are two reasons there are not more. One is the paucity of rivers. The other is accessibility. There are not roads into these canyons where you can get in and out quickly. The river is the road, and you have to float down it till there is somewhere to get out.

The river above Page is flooded of course by Lake Powell. And the river below Page is smooth water until you get to Grand Canyon. (which - due to accessibility - is of course a greater time commitment).

I know-- way too much info. :-)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
6. Re: White water rafting from Page

PS, Kevin,

Glad you enjoyed the trip last year,,,couldn't get enough huh? Had to come back?

If you are into hiking the best ones in the Page area are the Coyote Buttes and Buckskin Gulch of the Paria river canyon. Both require permits:

www.utah.com/playgrounds/paria_canyon.htm

https:/…index.htm

London, United...
7. Re: White water rafting from Page

Hi,

Tet we are coming over this year not next! Cannot wait that long. I tried to get accomodation nearer to Bryce (Ruby's etc) they said try next year fully booked! We stayed last year at Brian Head, and drove to Bryce so Panguitch is a tad nearer. St George was where we stayed last year so the drive was not too bad, plus it gave us a chance to stock up on supplies from a couple of large stores. Plus we were up very early trying to cope with the time changes, so we reached Zion Canyon early morning.

We trecked Angels Landing plus Emerald pools as advised day one, day two the Narrows, I fell in once on slippery stones, kept my camera in the air but my dollars in my pocket got wet along with my passport! Excellent.

Regards Kevin

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
8. Re: White water rafting from Page

This year already!! Even better! Joeman, one of our regular posters, always recommends Tropic for a stay in Bryce Point B&B. Many nationalities gather here he says.

Tet

London, United...
9. Re: White water rafting from Page

Kbecjeans,

I meant it good info and well used, I picked up on a number of your postings to other people too. This really helps. We drove last year to Monument valley for the day, I am starting to wish that we had gone onwards after doing the "tour round the 17 odd mile trail" in our hire car onto the four corners. As I dont believe that we will return in that direction again! but who knows. I have tried to get permits for the wave trek trip but its booked for all the time we are in Page. Unless you know of another way?

We will be going to the Rainbow Bridge on the boat tour this time, we have three days in Page. A trek again to stand at the top of Houseshoe bend, last year this made me feel very small and insignificant!

Plus we could not capture it all on one picture on the camera, and no picture could capture the natural beauty of that scene.

The free tour of the dam was interesting.

In Zion I would love to trek Angels Landing again, and Observation point for sure.

Yes we are coming back, there are rather a few sad English people who often use the statement "the USA have no history like the UK" I have been to the bottom of the Grand Canyon twice now, I have seen rocks and stones over 200 million old! I have seen the natural beauty of Zion and Bryce Canyon's and this year will see Yosemite. You are very fortunate to have such beatiful places to visit, and from what I have seen the National Park services are doing well to preserve them.

We went to Tahoe in March this year to ski, good snow and lots of sunshine too. Then four days in San Francisco, interesting place. Alcatraz what a bleak place that was! But scarey, the headset audio was very good. We cycled across the Golden Gate bridge and down a big hill to have lunch in a small village, afterwards pushing the bikes back up the even bigger hill! Drove to Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur. Which I believe is now on fire according to the BBC.

Already planning next years ski trip, could our first ski trip to Utah as lots of people are reccomending places near Salt Lake.

Regards Kevin

London, United...
10. Re: White water rafting from Page

Hi Tet,

yes this year for the USA trip.

But first Europe, I will be driving over to a small village near Venice in two weeks time. My Uncle has a house near there. France by Boat (not tunnel) Belguim, Luxemberg, France again, Germany, Switzerland, down into Italy by Lake Como possible stop overnight, we did last year in Bergamo then next day onto his house. Superb trip, then after a couple of days rest down to Lucca near to Florence and Pisa for a few days, and the coast.

Two weeks in Italy some walking in the Dolomites, then a short flight home. Couple of weeks later the trip to the USA, have you any reccomendations for some treks in Bryce Canyon? We will be there for two days again and have treked the usual ones.

Regards Kevin