We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible fourth of july trip

Which Gustavus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 83
possible fourth of july trip

Would like to visit for. 3 or 4 days

1 day glacier bay

2 days fishing husband only

Where is a good place to stay where i can explore while he's fishing?

Any bear watching close?

Thanks

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
1. Re: possible fourth of july trip

when do you want to travel?

3 to 4 days is a very short time but this coming from Seattle it might be doable. you need at least 1 night in Glacier Bay. you can spend the rest of the time in Juneau.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 29
2. Re: possible fourth of july trip

Forth of July will be too early to see bears in Juneau.......but from Juneau you could do a day trip to Admiralty Island to see bears, while hubby is fishing.......or if you stay downtown Juneau there is quite a bit to see just walking around.....State Museum, Mt Roberts Tram, bus out to Mendenhall Glacier.....but there will be thousands of cruise ship passengers there for the day, too........

There are a few motels out near the airport, but that is quite a ways from downtown unless you will have a rental car.......

Seattle, Washington
3. Re: possible fourth of july trip

I think this post went to Juneau forum too. Probably not enough activitiy in Gustavas forum

My husbands brother lives in Juneau Last year we stayed 4 nights in Juneau. Fished but kindof in the middle of runs.

We all took ferry to Sitka and loved it.

This year we would like to spend 3 nights in Juneau and head either by ferry or plane to another location to explore.

Definitely want to charter a boat for a sure thing on fish for my husband. I would like to go out on boat if not too expensive for non fisher or hang out and enjoy nature on shore.

Was thinking Gustavas? close to glaciers husband has never seen before.

I also heard Elfin cove and Pelican good for fishing but $3000-$4000 a person thats a little pricey.

Any ideas?

Seattle, Washington
4. Re: possible fourth of july trip

We are planing on visiting the week of fouth of july

so the last couple days of June and first 6 days of July

Thinking 3 or 4 days in Gustavas or where ever we end up

I would like to do something like the admiralty island thing with the bears. Any where else that has something like that.

Don't want to take time away from visiting his brother.

Thanks

Edited: 12:19 pm, January 06, 2013
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 29
5. Re: possible fourth of july trip

$3,000 to $4,000 per person for a 3-4 day trip !!.......don't know where you are getting those prices, but RUN AWAY.........

Fly into Juneau and have hubby and his brother fish there......take a side trip over to Glacier Bay and spend the night.......

Save all that extra money for a trip to Alaska when you have more time to spend.......for that kind of money you could travel here for 3 or 4 weeks......

Seattle, Washington
6. Re: possible fourth of july trip

Pelican and elfin cove is where those prices were quoted. Lodging

Food

Fishing for 3-4 days

Cleaning packing etc

Might not be bad if we both fished but the price was per person.

Still would like to explore somewhere close to Juneau by ferry or plane

Gustavus prices didn't look bad waiting for emails back

7. Re: possible fourth of july trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, February 26, 2015