We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed: Silver City to Gila to Hatch to Riudoso

Which Silver City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richardson, Texas
reviews: 114
Advice needed: Silver City to Gila to Hatch to Riudoso

My wife and I need to advice about the second day of our trip to Silver City, NM. On day one, we arrive in El Paso and drive to Silver City and tour around the town. (A great grandfather, Doctor Williams lived there)

We will drive from Bear Mountain Lodge in Silver City, to the Gila Cliff Dwellings (2 hrs) to Hatch (3 hrs) to Riudoso (3hrs). Is this too much? Should we try to see Gila on day one?

Thanks in advance for your help!

6 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 61
1. Re: Advice needed: Silver City to Gila to Hatch to Riudoso

You might be better driving the scenic(but slow) 152 out to the I-25 then North to the 380 at San Antonio ... South then, on the 48 at Capitan ... Day two, is long no matter the route ... Happy trails ... carracar

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
reviews: 37
2. Re: Advice needed: Silver City to Gila to Hatch to Riudoso

Your route is do-able-- provided that you drive from point-to-point and don't stop to see anything!

You would probably want to spend at least two hours at the Gila Cliff Dwellings (note: the Cliff Dwellings are nowhere near the town of Gila, NM-- so be careful about their respective names), not counting the time spent at one or more of the scenic overlooks on the way. Hatch is pretty small, but checking out some of the shops would take an hour or so, and since you will be passing relatively close to White Sands, you may want to visit that unique location as well.

In short, you may need an extra day to take full advantage and enjoy the places you plan to visit.

Richardson, Texas
3. Re: Advice needed: Silver City to Gila to Hatch to Riudoso

Mitch, thanks for your post!

I think that we'll try to see the Gila cliff dwellings on day one since it takes so long to drive there, hike up to the cliff dwellings and drive back to Silver City. Then we can take a leisurely drive on day two on Hwy 153/I25 to Hatch and on to Riudoso.

By the way, which restaurant would you recommend for dinner in Silver City?

Diane's, Curious Kumquat, Jalisco, Kountry Kitchen

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
reviews: 34
4. Re: Advice needed: Silver City to Gila to Hatch to Riudoso

Tour of Gila dwellings can be short but drive is slow. Mitch is definite authority but those restaurants sound familiar. Several good ones in downtown. I think I've heard of the Kumquat as very good. I tried Diane's and liked. In Hatch, of course, there's chile, including the red ristras, and several stands along the road. Hwy 152 from Silver City to Hatch is pretty, mountainous and winding. I wonder about route from there to Ruidoso.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
reviews: 37
5. Re: Advice needed: Silver City to Gila to Hatch to Riudoso

Diane's is a good all-around choice with a menu that has something for everybody. The Curious Kumquat is good for lunch with soups, salads and sandwiches; for dinner, the menu is inventive, concentrating on locally-sourced and locally foraged ingredients. Shevek & Co. specializes in Continental and Mediterranean cuisine. 1zero6 serves fusion and Asian cuisine and is open for dinner on Friday, Saturday and Sunday only. Jalisco Cafe is a popular choice for visitors interested in Mexican food. The Kountry Kitchen primarily serves breakfast and lunch.

The Gila Cliff Dwellings sounds like a good choice for Day One, with one caveat: if Day One is also the day you drive from El Paso to Silver City, you may need to reconsider, as the trip from El Paso takes 3 hours.

Richardson, Texas
6. Re: Advice needed: Silver City to Gila to Hatch to Riudoso

Hi Mitch, thank you for the restaurant suggestions and driving recommendation. We arrive in El Paso this morning at 9am, so we should be in Silver City around noon. So, we should be able to grab a bite, visit the museum (lookup great grandfather- Dr Thomas Williams circa 1910) and then head up to Gila cliff dwellings before it closes at 4pm. I know it's a lot for one day, but my wife and I are aggressive travelers!

Thanks again for your help! Ken

Reply to: Advice needed: Silver City to Gila to Hatch to Riudoso
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted