We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to walk around alone in Brooklyn?

Which Brooklyn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 5
Is it safe to walk around alone in Brooklyn?

I am staying in the Graves End / Bensenhurst area, 22 Ave, I was wondering if this is a safe area to walk around alone, also how long would it take me to get into Manhattan to see all the tourist things. I will be going there daily. How many miles is this and how long will it take on the train?

How far is it to walk to The Brooklyn Bridge from 22 Ave? Is this street fairly central? How far from Brooklyn Heights.

Are there any shops in the area? Grocery shops / Clothes shops?

Sorry for all the questions, Thank you in advance for replying Appreciate it!!!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 54
11. Re: Is it safe to walk around alone in Brooklyn?

wings, i think you misread the posts above...no one is questioning the joy of walking *over* the brooklyn bridge, but the original poster was contemplating walking *to* the brooklyn bridge from bensonhurst/gravesend, which is closer to the verrazano bridge, and thus that would be an extremely long walk through residential brooklyn.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 26
12. Re: Is it safe to walk around alone in Brooklyn?

I have been living in Bensonhurst for the last 11 years, not too far from where you will be staying. The area is generally safe although there is a pocket in the area where I would recommend some caution during the night. Manhattan is 45 minutes or so by subway.

Brooklyn Bridge is too far to walk. I think you'll need about 2-1/2 hours or more to get to the bridge. My wife and I frequently do the Brooklyn Bridge walk by taking the subway to Brooklyn Heights. Walking the bridge is an excellent activity. You can also walk across Manhattan Bridge (and Williamsburg Bridge too I think).

There are plenty of shops for grocery as well as restaurants, take out places, etc. There are many shops, vegetable stands, ethnic grocery stores and clothing shops on 86th St. around Bay Parkway.

Hope this helps.

brooklyn, ny
reviews: 12
13. Re: Is it safe to walk around alone in Brooklyn?

We recently did a 3 bridge walk -Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Williamsburg. It took about 2.5 unrushed hours and was great. We started in Manhattan and walked over the Brooklyn Bridge, turn left when you get to the Brooklyn side and you are about a 4 block walk from the pedestrian entrance to the Manhattan Bridge. The Manhattan bridge is much less crowded than the Brooklyn Bridge and offers a spectacular view of...the Brooklyn Bridge. This will leave you on the Bowery in Manhattan. Turn right for about 10 blocks and then right on Delancy onto the Williamsburg Bridge. We then turned left on Bedford and walked into the heart of Hipsterville aka Williamsburg and took the L train back to Manhattan.

San Diego
reviews: 6
14. Re: Is it safe to walk around alone in Brooklyn?

I did misread the post. Sorry. I'll stand by the rest of my reply, except the guestimated distances probably aren't accurate. It's all on Mapquest. That's why I included the street my son lives on.

Thanks for the tip on the three bridges walks. We'll be sure to walk the Manhattan bridge our next trip to NYC, either this autumn, or next May for our son's graduation from Fordum MBA, or both.

I think NYC is an absolutely fabulous place to visit or live, with enough worthwhile to explore and discover for many lifetimes. I can't say enough good things about the millions of wonderful New Yorkers who make the New York the world center of human culture and commerce.

Allentown, PA
reviews: 2
15. Re: Is it safe to walk around alone in Brooklyn?

Brooklyn Heights is such a lovely area - you have to visit. The view to Manhattan from the Promenade is just breathtaking, the townhouses lovely, etc. Montague Street has a ton of great restaurants of every ethnicity you could imagine. The walk over the Brooklyn Bridge is fantastic - I would recommend it.

Staten Island, New...
16. Re: Is it safe to walk around alone in Brooklyn?

yes, i think it is a very safe neighborhood in Brooklyn. my sister is from Bensonhurst. it is a very Italian neighborhood with lots of shops, pizzarias and restaurants along 18th avenue. to get to manhattan, it would probably take about an hour inlcuding time to get to the train station, wait for the train and the entire trip into the city, depending on what part of manhattan you are visiting.

it is way too far to walk to the brooklyn bridge from that area, you would have to take the train to the brooklyn bridge in my opinion. this area is very far from brooklyn heights.

enjoy brooklyn - there is a lot to see there. while you are in brooklyn, try to visit the park slope area which is much like the village in manhattan - along 7th avenue there is so much to see!

cathy - staten island, new york and a former resident of brooklyn!

WTC<NYC
17. Re: Is it safe to walk around alone in Brooklyn?

I live in the area you're talking about-- as safe as walking anywhere in any city-- Brooklyn Bridge is about 14 miles away (Brooklyn is HUGE)

Train from 22nd ave is about 15 mins to downtwn bklyn, near bridge, about 20 into lower Manhatten, and about 35 mins to midtown, depending on time of day, and whether u are on local or express

22nd ave (also known as Bay Parkway is a major street, most shopping is around the 86th st side, with a major retailer 9kohl's) at the tip of Bay Pkwy by Shore Road. Very accessible by buses and trains. Lots of food in the area, and plenty of clothing shops-- all along 86th street is never ending shops. I highly recommend L&B Spumoni gardens at 86th St & Ave U. Good prices, great food, and really insider Brooklyn.

18. Re: Is it safe to walk around alone in Brooklyn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 am, August 14, 2009