We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn Bike Ride

Which Brooklyn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
reviews: 3
Brooklyn Bike Ride

Hello!

I will be in Brooklyn next weekend and my friend and I would like to do a fun Self Guided bike tour of various neighborhoods (starting from her apartment in Cobble Hill) Does anyone know of any pre-set routes to recommend?

We also are hoping to go visit the Dyker Heights holiday decoratations- could that be done by bike? I don't think we would want to be riding in the dark so is there any chance of the lights being on during the day or does this defeat the purpose?

Thank you!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
1. Re: Brooklyn Bike Ride

Defeats the purpose. You can't see them during the day, and therefore they're not on during the day.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
reviews: 49
2. Re: Brooklyn Bike Ride

It's very cold in NYC right now and to get from Cobble Hill to Dyker Heights would take perhaps 2 hours by bike.

New York, New York...
3. Re: Brooklyn Bike Ride

Transportation Alternatives has a great link to bicycle street maps so you should check them out if you want to make up your own great route. If you decide a guided bike tour is for you, check out Get Up and Ride. They are Brooklyn's first boutique bike tour company and have great reviews online.

Olney, Maryland
reviews: 5
4. Re: Brooklyn Bike Ride

It's easy peasy to bicycle in Brooklyn. You can ride through Prospect Park, a beautiful park. You can use the bicycle path along Eastern Parkway, along Ocean Parkway, along the Promenade, go over the Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridges, the boardwalk at Brighton Beach and Coney Island, Shore Road along Narrows Bay, or just go down city streets to wherever you like.

Bicycling is easy in NYC because the parked car lane is usually 1.25 lanes wide, so except for doors opening, it is very easy to be out of the way of traffic.

I have been bicycling for years in Brooklyn, even down Flatbush Avenue, the biggest heaviest-traffic commercial street, even at night. And I've been on it from the Manhattan Bridge all the way to Kings Plaza and the Rockaways. The city is so lit up, it's not that hard or scary (automobile-wise or people-wise).

The toughtest part is that Eastern Parkway is the top of ridge along the highest part of Brooklyn, so that riding from Cobble Hill to Prospect Park is uphill, and going from Flatbush north up to Eastern Parkway is also uphill.

If Dyke Hts is, lets say 7miles from where you are to Dyker Heights, it would take AT MOST an hour to get there. You can go straight down any of the numbered avenues.

Finally, if it's dark and late, and you're tired, just take the bicycles on the subway. There are no legal restrictions.

You can get the Hagstrom Pocket Atlas of New York City, and look through the pages for Brooklyn.

5. Re: Brooklyn Bike Ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 22, 2013