We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Brooklyn Bridge.

Which Brooklyn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
reviews: 3
Walking Brooklyn Bridge.

Arriving in Brooklyn in Aug. ( I know its going to be hot! ). Our plan is to do a late afternoon/early evening stroll over the bridge _ maybe even a ferry ride_ to view manhatten at sunset. Has anybody got any good tips? How long is the walk over the bridge?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
reviews: 25
1. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge.

Good Tips? My home grown asparagus was good.. ;)

Seriously, you could get the Subway through to Brooklyn and walk back, or the East River Ferry and then walk back.

Walking is around half an hour, more if you stop for photos. Stay in the pedestrian lane, don't walk into the cyclist lane.

Over on the NYC forum this is always asked and there is a great guide on how to get there etc.

Aus
reviews: 1
2. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge.

Cityrover.com do Brooklyn/Brooklyn bridge tours, we did it yesterday and loved it

Chesapeake, Virginia
reviews: 117
3. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge.

Another possibility is Big Onion Walking Tours if you want a tour while you walk..... also can download podcasts (free) of the Bowery Boys and get lots of background. Why not include the Promenade on the Brooklyn side... also beautiful views.... Have some pizza and ice cream near the water's edge.... GREAT....

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

I have LOTS of photos of our adventures in Brooklyn in October....

New York City, New...
reviews: 35
4. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge is one of the great vistas and experiences of New York.

Best preparation, see a copy of the Frank Stella painting of Brooklyn Bridge. You will be thrilled to look up at the cables of the bridge with the painting in mind.

Take the 4,5 or 6 train to the Brooklyn Bridge stop.

It's a great walk all times of the day and year. In the summer, it might be better in the cool of the early evening at dusk. Then you would enjoy the combination of views and the lights of the city. Don't forget to look down to the right to see the masted ships of South Street Seaport and of course further right to see the magnificence of the harbor.

In the winter, we've walked across the bridge when it was covered with snow, and we were among only four other walkers!

I concur with other posters it will take about 30 minutes and to be aware that bicyclists ride the left hand lane. Stay in the walking lane on the right.

We see many tourists walk halfway and walk back. It is worth walking all the way across. It's also quieter as you walk further, as the bulk of tourists have turned around.

The towers are probably the best place for viewing and for pictures. That is where you can relax and not interfere with other pedestrians.

There are two wonderful Brooklyn neighbors right there for you when you get across. To the right is Brooklyn Heights, which is lovely, has a wonderful promenade along the waterway, and an incredible new waterfront park. Brooklyn Heights was New York City's first suburb and has a classic look to it. You can take any number of subways back to Manhattan from Brooklyn Heights.

To the left is Dumbo, a reclaimed industrial area with cobblestone streets, old trolley tracks, and playful design to its waterfront park including a rock beach. It is really fun to walk through Dumbo.

Another great walk is make a right at the bottom of the stairs off the bridge, walking straight south where you will see some nice greenery, Brooklyn Borough Hall, and then make a left onto Atlantic Avenue for one block and then a right onto Smith Street, for the quality restaurant row of Brooklyn, Or cross Atlantic Avenue to stay on Court Street for the lovely Carroll Gardens neighborhood with some of the best local bookstores and pastry shops in New York.

Once you decide on your route, confer with local maps to get precise directions. Enjoy your visit to Brooklyn!

reviews: 2
5. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge.

Its easy and you seem to have the right idea, walk the Bridge (be aware of the aggressive bike riders they hate people walking in the bike lane and they will let you know for sure). You can walk down to the Brooklyn side, but to the top and back to NYC side is fine, the Staten Island ferry is a great view also, dont walk all the way onto the ferry, as soon as you board stop and turn around, the back deck is the best view and least crowded, everybody runs to the front.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
6. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge.

Watch out for those aggressive drivers who hate it when you walk down the middle of the highway. They'll let you know. <eye roll>

reviews: 2
7. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge.

Meow Brooklyn Bridge does Brooklyn Bridge ride his bike to work every day over the Brooklyn bridge and takes offense? Another "Not From Brooklyn" transplant crying about bike lanes. Eye roll

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
8. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge.

I was born here.

I don't own a bike.

I'm a woman.

I know the difference between a bike lane and a pedestrian path.

9. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 23, 2014