We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

Which Brooklyn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 1
Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

Good day,

We will be attending an event in Brooklyn on Coney Island Avenue (intersection ov Ave. X) and were wondering what would be the best nearby decent hotel? Or alternatively what would be the good hotel in any part of Brooklyn or Manhattan for us to easily get to our event (in that particular part of Brooklyn) by subway?

Edited: 11:41 am, January 26, 2012
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
reviews: 48
21. Re: Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

As you are now staying in Manhattan (kudos), your transportation costs will go way up. It will be $60+ each way with tolls and tip.

I can suggest a way to save some money if you're willing to work for it a bit. You can take the subway from Manhattan to the Sheepshead Bay Avenue Q-train stop. It is 1 stop after Neck Rd, and it's a major hub. There will be car service cars waiting right outside the station for a fare, and it will cost you about $7 to get to Rasputin. If they try to tell you more... tell them $8 is your final offer. It's a 10-block ride.

Also, they are not "gypsy cabs" meaning private cars that act as cabs on the side. They are legitimate car services with the business name on the side. No one has ever had a problem with getting into one, or getting out of one. Just like in any country, agree on a price beforehand. And I've told you the right price.

If you'd rather take a cab from Manhattan to Rasputin, just have the guy at the hotel flag one down for you. Once you are in it, you can tell them to take you to Brooklyn. If they pick you up at a hotel, they usually won't protest.

However, I've had bad experiences with taking cabs to Brooklyn. Late-night, many won't open the doors until you tell them where you're going. And if it's Brooklyn, they just drive on. So you may have to hail down a couple of them before you catch one that will take you.

Also, Manhattan cabs do not know that part of Brooklyn, so you may need to give them directions. Don't fret, just print them out from Google Maps and bring it with you. Once the driver sees it, he'll know exactly where to go.

On the way back - as you're going farther, it is better to get a quote over the phone rather than just getting in. They don't screw you over, but even I'd call ahead (meaning 10 minutes before you want to leave). Call Seaside from my previous post or just ask any restaurant staff number (or any guests who live in that area) they'll have multiple numbers. The fare will be similar to a yellow cab, maybe $50 because there's less traffic.

Unlike yellow cabs, Brooklyn car services do not accept credit cards.

Now... this driver may also need directions. Easy - just give him the sheet you gave the first driver.

Don't fret about "dangerous" New York, everything will work out. In the outer boroughs, everyone takes car services with no hassles.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Boston...
22. Re: Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

Platna - thank's a million. Initially, I thought about taking a train to Neck Rd. stop and taking a cab from there but was just worried that there'll be none on the street to catch and we'll have to wait a bit for it to arrive to train station (if we call). Now I know that it would be the Sheepshead Bay Avenue where town cars from train station are not a problem. Again, I will discuss all options with my partner and see what would be the best one for us.

The costs you mentioned are the approximate costs from my estimates so we are prepared for it.

In general, all these posts above helped a great deal in arranging this small trip and making us understand more how cabs/cars operate around NYC and Brooklyn. Feeling very confident now about the trip and looking forward to having a great time these 2 days!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
23. Re: Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

I just want to make one more comment about car services. Platna and I have disagreed in the past about this, and I respect her opinion while still disagreeing. A legal car service car and driver that picks up passengers on the street IS operating illegally. They are NOT allowed to pick up street hails by law - only licensed yellow cabs are allowed to do that. Car services MUST be dispatched from a call center. Yes, many still do pick up street hails, and many locals feel very comfortable using car services in this way. The fact that you have to negotiate your fare, which under legal circumstances would be a flat fare set by the dispatcher, is part of the illegality. I agree with Platna that the chances of having a problem are very low, especially if you know what the fare is supposed to be before getting in. Despite all that, it's still not something I would recommend to a tourist.

If you want to take the train part way, definitely do so. You can easily call a car service from the train (it runs above ground in that part of Brooklyn, so you'll have cell service) and tell then you want a car at the station, and one of the cars that's already sitting there will be legally dispatched to you. You can confirm the fare in advance with the dispatcher. You'll be covered by the driver's insurance that way, just in case there's an accident. If you get in the car illegally, you won't be covered.

It's your call. Again, the chances of you having a problem are small. Platna has given you great advice about how to do it if you decide to do so. I just still wouldn't recommend it, especially since it's so easy to do it the right way. Either way, enjoy your trip, and definitely let us know how it goes!

Boston...
24. Re: Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

Thank you BrooklynBridge, I understood all aspects of it. And again, I assumed that the whole trip would be underground and there will be no way to call from subway, it is good to know and to have choices!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
reviews: 48
25. Re: Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

We have disagreed, and it is not easier to "do it the right way" on the way there.

First of all, you certainly are covered by insurance if you are in a legal car service, no matter how you got in it.

Secondly, when stepping out of the train station in the cold with multiple car services waiting for a 5-minute ride, I would not be calling some dispatcher and wait for him to radio someone to send someone else (since the dispatcher might not even know that particular car is there.)

Standing in formal attire outside some subway station in the cold for 10 minutes for nothing... "better safe than sorry" doesn't apply here.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
26. Re: Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

"First of all, you certainly are covered by insurance if you are in a legal car service, no matter how you got in it."

No, you're not. Sorry. No way the insurance company will cover the driver who took an illegal passenger. They'll look for the call logs before they pay the claim, and the dispatch company will disavow all knowledge of drivers taking passengers off the street's or they can be fined and lose their insurance coverage.

I'm saying to call five or ten minutes BEFORE you get to the station so the car is waiting for you. No waiting around, and dispatchers know what they're doing. If it's a legitimate car service, they'll know how to assign a driver who's already in the area to the call.

I absolutely agree that it is easier to do it your way. I just think it's safer (even if only marginally safer) to do it mine. It's the OP's choice.

Boston...
27. Re: Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

Good day everyone!

Our trip went very well. The concert and Rasputin restaurant/cabaret were very cool. The transportation part was like this:

Took a yellow cab to our hotel from bus station. Relaxed, had light dinner. My proposition was to take a subway train to Brooklyn to save us some $$ but when we were about to leave realized that we are a bit overdressed for a subway:) Also, it would've been 10 minute walk from our hotel to reach subway. My decision was to hail a yellow cab (I brought my printed directions as suggested) so we did and the driver was very nice and knew how to go and where to go right away. He asked what route we prefer to go but since we don't know NYC very well, we asked for the route with least traffic. The price was reasonable - definitely cheaper than if we were to order a Manhattan town car.

As were were ready to leave the restaurant we called Brooklyn's Seaside Car Service and the car picked us up about 10 minutes later - that was cool too. They quoted very reasonable price over the phone to go back to Manhattan as well. The only thing we were not comfortable with was the ride itself - it felt like we were going 90 mph all the way with sharp turns and stops as if the driver was in a horrible rush.

We then had a very nice next day in New York visiting the Rockefeller's Ice rink, having dinner and walking down Fifth Avenue a bit. As well as picking up some documents for my work at the same time.

I noticed some pattern when telling a cab driver your destination they either need to know a cross street or the avenues next to your location. For instance when asking to bring us to East 89th Street, the driver would ask whether we know between what avenues is East 89th Street. Same with hotel, when we said bring us to xxx Madison Ave, he'd ask "Madison Ave and what?" referring to Cross street. Same with Brooklyn. It was very good that I had all of this information available ahead of time!

Thank you again everyone for helping me organize this short trip. Cannot wait to go back to New York again in April.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
28. Re: Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

I'm SO glad that this went well for you, and thank you so much for reporting back! Yes, knowing the cross streets is very important, since Madison Ave (for example) runs for miles, and unless you know where along it you're going, the driver has no way of knowing where to take you. Building numbers aren't consistent, so they don't tell you where exactly to go, but the cross streets always do. I'm glad you had that information handy.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 10
29. Re: Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

I happen to be in total agreement with Brooklyn Bridge, please listen to what he is telling you as it is the best advice. I live fairly close to that restaurant (never been there) but I am sure that they have a car service that they recommend for their customers.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
30. Re: Brooklyn hotels near Coney Island Ave (cross Ave X)

ItalianPrincess, please stop reviving old threads. This trip happened already and the op reported back. Also, I'm not a he.