We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Alaska in Late Oct - Weather, where to visit, etc

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
First Time Alaska in Late Oct - Weather, where to visit, etc

I am thinking of planning a trip to Alaska with my 16 year old daughter and my 5 year old grandson. I've done Europe for so many years we want to do something new. We would have 5 full days to spend in late Oct. I saw about dog sled rides, snow machine rides, northern lights, etc. These sound like so much fun and would be interested in these types of things. We unfortunately don't ski. Thoughts of places to visit with these age groups. What is the weather like in Oct? Once I can determine "where" then I can start looking at accomodations.

Any input would be fabulous.

Wasilla, Alaska
reviews: 43
1. Re: First Time Alaska in Late Oct - Weather, where to visit, etc

There was a great post on July 13 called "What to do in Fairbanks". Some of it was pertinent to summer, but other stuff can be done at anytime. Your post happens to be in the Fairbanks forum. Is that where you are planning for your trip? Hopefully, 1stimester will chime in here who is the Fairbanks expert.

Fairbanks, Alaska
reviews: 1
2. Re: First Time Alaska in Late Oct - Weather, where to visit, etc

Here you go!

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60826-Activitie…

Fairbanks, Alaska
reviews: 29
3. Re: First Time Alaska in Late Oct - Weather, where to visit, etc

I guess we better get some snow fall by October but that can be 50/50.

Fairbanks, Alaska
reviews: 16
4. Re: First Time Alaska in Late Oct - Weather, where to visit, etc

The weather can range -10 to +20 in late October. Aurora viewing should be good. I would recommend Cleary Summit to see auroras. Winter sports can be very hit or miss in late October, probably more of a miss than hit.

5. Re: First Time Alaska in Late Oct - Weather, where to visit, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 16, 2009