We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairbanks or Juneau?

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warren, OH
reviews: 57
Fairbanks or Juneau?

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Alaska from May 17 - June 1. We are in our early 50's and mid 60's. These dates cannot be changed because it begins as a paid business trip for my husband. We must begin in Anchorage for minimum of 4 nights since that is where his seminar is. After that I would like to go elsewhere and I am deciding between Fairbanks or Juneau. I will be doing sightseeing by myself for the first four days in Anchorage and my husband doesn't really care that he is missing out. So, I would like the remainder of the trip to be of interest to him. Neither one of us are huge outdoors people so we are not into hiking, rafting, fishing, or such activities, however, we enjoy walking tours and beautiful nature scenes. I enjoy sightseeing and shopping and my husband will tag along. We both love fresh seafood and good restaurants, mainly restaurants that the locals enjoy. I would like to see animals and glaciers. We are not opposed to renting a car or we can do without depending where we go or do. I have been reading travel guides and internet information but am really uncertain which place offers more. Please, any and all information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
1. Re: Fairbanks or Juneau?

Fairbanks doesn't work for many of your interests. Denali has the most land mammals . . . and is on the way to Fairbanks - I love Fairbanks - it has some great history, some good restaurants, etc., but I don't think it is quite what you are looking for.

reviews: 101
2. Re: Fairbanks or Juneau?

You will need to fly to Juneau, so keep that in mind. An alternative would be to drive to Seward and take a fjords trip or hike at Exit Glacier. It's a lovely town and the drive down there is beautiful. Just a thought.

Warren, OH
reviews: 57
3. Re: Fairbanks or Juneau?

Thank you for the suggestion. I think we are going to spend two nights in Seward and then the remaining three in Juneau. Seward is definitely part of the trip, but I don't know if there is enough for 5 nights, so we are still looking at going elsewhere. Do you have any recommendations for accomodations in Seward?

reviews: 101
4. Re: Fairbanks or Juneau?

There is a Holiday Inn that I would recommend.

5. Re: Fairbanks or Juneau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 12, 2014