We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Campground to see Northern Lights? Please help :)

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
Best Campground to see Northern Lights? Please help :)

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to visit Fairbanks this Sep 13 - 18 to see the lights. I already searched through a lot but did not find an answer yet.

Which campground is best for me and my group of 7 people to just sit around and wait for the lights at night? We have hotels but was wondering where is the best location where perhaps we can have a mini cookout or make a fire while waiting for the lights to come out at night? We only intend to go do this every night then go back to our hotel to sleep.

So basically, just looking for a place to set up a fire and pass time while waiting for the lights at night.

Thank you for your help!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 35
1. Re: Best Campground to see Northern Lights? Please help :)

Where will you be staying and will you have a car? :)

reviews: 1
2. Re: Best Campground to see Northern Lights? Please help :)

We will be staying in the Fairbanks area for 4-5 nights, Alpine Lodge Fairbanks is the hotel. We plan to go out at night to look for the lights.

We were looking for perhaps a nice campground type of place where we could build a fire or something while waiting for the lights at night, rather than to sit in the car all night. Is there a specific campground or a place where we can do this? Preferably somewhere that is clear so we can see the lights?

And yes, we have a car so we can drive out anywhere.

Thank you for your help in advance!

3. Re: Best Campground to see Northern Lights? Please help :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 10, 2014