We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire Fairbanks

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dublin, ireland
reviews: 34
Car hire Fairbanks

Hi there, Can anyone recommend any particular car hire company in Fairbanks Alaska?Thank you!

19 replies to this topic
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 17
1. Re: Car hire Fairbanks

All the major players rent cars in Fairbanks and I have used most of them. Unless you want a car for a particular reason like driving gravel roads or driving the Haul Road then just choose the lowest price.

You may want to go with a company like Car Hire 3000 for an all in package that includes insurance but always compare to the company site.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
2. Re: Car hire Fairbanks

I've used many of them, including Rent-a-Wreck (for a Suburban to take car camping) . . . and have been very happy with all. I would suggest pricing for what you need and go with the best deal you can find.

dublin, ireland
3. Re: Car hire Fairbanks

Thanks Spacefry, many of the companies I had looked at don't incover accidental damage waivers and there are little hidden extras and exceptions, but they seem to be pretty upfront about everything, so thanks for the recommendation!

dublin, ireland
4. Re: Car hire Fairbanks

Thanks TimeshareVon, I've tried their website, but they don't seem to be available in Fairbanks when you click on the Fairbanks link, but it's okay, I have another recommendation now. Thanks for your time!

dublin, ireland
5. Re: Car hire Fairbanks

Thanks Spacefry, you just made that the easiest part of our planning so far , Comparing CarHire3000 inc CDW with other companies where you have to add it in separately, there is a huge difference in cost. Thanks!

Fairbanks, Alaska
6. Re: Car hire Fairbanks

@TimeshareVon - Thank you for the referral!

@9x9 - We are now operating under a different name. Feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance.

Peter

Alaska Auto Rental

Naperville, Illinois
reviews: 91
7. Re: Car hire Fairbanks

What about car hire companies with winter tires? A Fairbanks native just told me to be careful because some hire companies still have summer tires. Do you need chains if you rent in March? Plus all of the kit to keep your engine warm (ability to plug in to an electric power outlet)?

Fairbanks, Alaska
8. Re: Car hire Fairbanks

@diversitylady -

You were warned correctly that most car rental companies in Fairbanks leave summer tires (they call them "all season tire") on their vehicles during the winter. This can lead to some very dangerous driving on our icy roads, especially for those who are unfamiliar with the area and the driving conditions. Our company equips all of our rental fleet with high traction winter tires during the winter at no additional charge. I have not heard of any other car rental companies in Fairbanks that offer this feature at this time.

High traction winter tires are especially important for driving in the Fairbanks area this winter. About a month ago we received a day of rain that froze on all of the roads. Most of the residual ice is still present and the local road conditions are very slick. It is very difficult to safely control a vehicle outfitted with summer tires in these conditions.

Regarding your last question, we call the kit you are referring to a "winterization". Some companies vehicles are better winterized than others. The winterizations we have performed on our vehicles allows them to stay functional at temperatures as low as -60! If you ever plan a trip for a time of year that the temperatures are below zero be sure to choose a car rental company that will confirm that their cars will function properly in those temperatures. Also, you will need an electrical extension cord to plug in the vehicle while it is parked at these temperatures. If your car rental company does not supply an extension cord with the vehicle you will need to purchase one from a store as soon as you arrive.

Fortunately, if your trip is going to take place in March you will not be experiencing temperatures extreme enough to be concerned with needing an advanced vehicle winterization. The temperatures in March are almost always mild enough that a vehicle from any of the car rental companies should be able to start and run regardless of the quality of their winterization.

Have a great trip!

Peter

Alaska Auto Rental

Edited: 8:34 pm, February 08, 2013
Naperville, Illinois
reviews: 91
9. Re: Car hire Fairbanks

Peter, thanks for the useful post and not trying to oversell yourself. I'll certainly check out your company as well as my regulars.

South West Rocks...
reviews: 30
10. Re: Car hire Fairbanks

Thinking of waiting to fly into Fairbanks when we get a weather warning for light activity in September this year. Would this be a good idea. I don't want to make the epic journey and then not get to see the northern lights. Would it be difficult leaving our accommodation bookings to this short notice. We are thinking about the couple of weeks at the end of September. We will probably get car hire when we arrive. Jennyp

Edited: 5:01 am, February 25, 2013
Reply to: Car hire Fairbanks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted