We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Northern Lights

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
everett, washington
reviews: 51
Alaska Northern Lights

I'm thinking of going to Alaska to see the Northern Lights the first week in April 2012. Has anyone gone this time of year? Any tour company recommendations?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
1. Re: Alaska Northern Lights

Same comment(s) from this thread apply to Fairbanks: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189970-i594-k5159… .

As for tour companies, really most people go out viewing without the benefit or use of a guide or tour per se. With a rental car, you can drive about 15-30 minutes out of the city to see & photograph the aurora.

There are lodges that cater to the aurora viewing tourist such as Chena Hot Springs or Aurora Borealis Lodge. (A "search" of the AK forums should help you locate prior discussions on each.)

Alaskan Arctic Turtle Tours (http://wildalaska.info/) has a tour on their web site and also used to do a drive tour that is timed to provide opportunity to possibly catch the aurora. April may be too close on the hours of sunset and darkness. You'd need to contact them to find out scheduling, etc.

Wheatland, Wyoming
reviews: 23
2. Re: Alaska Northern Lights

April is known for some really good displays of the aurora.

Aurora Borealis Lodge offers a tour with pickup service from Fairbanks hotels or a self drive option. Accomodations there are already booked solid through April 1st so if you are interested in staying there you need to reserve now.

http://auroracabin.com/TourEnglish.html

I would recommend renting a vehicle rather than tour companies because it is much more flexible, cheaper and you have options during the day that the tours don't offer. If you have any interest in dogsledding I recommend Northern Skies Lodge for doing that. Great place, great fun!

http://www.northernskylodge.com/dogtour.aspx

Fairbanks, Alaska
reviews: 29
3. Re: Alaska Northern Lights

I concur with Steve. I concur with Steve. What is a tour guide going to do for you? You already know where the sky is and that is where we keep the lights. Just rent a car read the post on viewing areas and drive.

everett, washington
reviews: 51
4. Re: Alaska Northern Lights

Thanks so much to all for your advice! I'm very scared to drive on snow and ice, so I would want to go with a tour.

Bristol, United...
5. Re: Alaska Northern Lights

Just wondering as I can't drive, what is transport like in alaska taxi's buses

and where can I find out about it online

Camden, Australia
reviews: 33
6. Re: Alaska Northern Lights

G'day Edwrd M,

Just to advise that it is not good netiquette to piggyback the thread of another person for the following reasons:

- The original poster will have received an email to advise that a response has been posted to the thread, only to find it is someone else asking another question.

- Communication gets confusing with replies people give as it is often uncertain whether they are responding to the original question or the fresh one.

- Your question is totally different from the original one posted.

- Some people who have answered a thread will not revisit it so the fresh post can languish with few replies. If someone wants to look for your post it is hidden under the name of the original poster.

You also have not specified what time of the year you are travelling and what regions you are enquiring about, therefore it would be very hard for anyone to respond to such a vague question.

Please start a new thread by clicking on the tab "Ask a question" and then address the points immediately above. You will then get some informed advice. Alaska is a very big State.

Happy travels

Edited: 7:19 am, January 22, 2013
7. Re: Alaska Northern Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 24, 2014