We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are thikning about a last minute Aurora trip in Feb/Mar

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, AZ
We are thikning about a last minute Aurora trip in Feb/Mar

I am sure you guys get these questions all the time so I pre-apologize for the redundancy.

We have more than enough Alaska Air miles to take a trip from Phoenix so we thought out of the box and are thinking of going to Alaska to check out the Northern Lights. I have seen them once before while interning in Juneau in the Summer but it is definitely on my wife's bucket list.

We are thinking of going to Fairbanks and staying somewhere downtown, maybe the Springhill suites. Also, looking online I see that there is a lodge for Aurora viewing at Mt. Aurora Skiland where we could sit in a lodge and sip on coffee and hot chocolate until the lights come out. What do you all think of these accommodations and place for viewing the lights?

I do have some concerns about driving 20 miles out of town along the Steese highway at late night hours. Is it safe? I drive when we go skiing in Colorado so "winter" driving is not totally new to me. Is it similar?

My wife and I are in our upper 20's so we were curious about activities to do during non-aurora times. Can you guys recommend something for us? Also, how is downtown? Is it safe, how about bars, or food?

Anything else you all are willing to offer would be great. Thank you so much.

Phoenix, AZ
11. Re: We are thikning about a last minute Aurora trip in Feb/Mar

Thanks again for all the recommendations. I am going to have to look at these lodges.

12. Re: We are thikning about a last minute Aurora trip in Feb/Mar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, April 13, 2013