We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Fly /Arctic Circle Trip Worth the Expense?

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 14
Is the Fly /Arctic Circle Trip Worth the Expense?

Is there any possibility of seeing the Northern Lights on the evening trip in late August? How does this tour compare to the Fly/Drive option? Any help will be deeply appreciated. I want to go, my traveling companion is not convinced.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 35
1. Re: Is the Fly /Arctic Circle Trip Worth the Expense?

any time it is finally getting dark, there is a chance of northern lights, but you don't need to fly to the Arctic circle to see them. :)

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
2. Re: Is the Fly /Arctic Circle Trip Worth the Expense?

Your chance of seeing the Northern Lights in late August are not good at all and as you travel north the less darkness you will have at that time of year. In Bettles there is about 2 more hours of daylight than there is in Anchorage in late August, about 18 hours of daylight in Bettles, give or take a few minutes depending on when you come. The sun is leaving very quickly at that time of year at a rate of about 5 minutes a day. I would not do the trip if your goal is to see the Northern Lights. I think you would have a good or better chance of seeing them in Denali or maybe Fairbanks.

I have never done the trip so I can't comment on it but I have driven the Haul Rd and the scenery was breathtaking.

Edited: 6:34 pm, April 22, 2011
New Jersey
reviews: 14
3. Re: Is the Fly /Arctic Circle Trip Worth the Expense?

Thanks. How about flying round trip. Is the scenery worth the price. Would it be better to take the flight to Mt McKinley fromTalkeetna. I would like to make at least one flight during my two weeks in Alaska.

4. Re: Is the Fly /Arctic Circle Trip Worth the Expense?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, October 30, 2012