We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fishkill, New York
reviews: 21
Northern Lights

Hello,

We will be in Fairbanks the coming Sunday and plan to stay there for 3-4 days.

I was following the Kp index and was a bit disappointed that the activity is quite low.

Have there been any sightings lately?

Thanks!

Chugiak, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Alaska
reviews: 10
11. Re: Northern Lights

I wouldn't get too disheartened yet. The weather can change quite a bit in a few days. Also, I think you're getting your forecast from this website, yes?

http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

The last year or so SpaceWeather.com has had better info and has been right way more often:

http://spaceweather.com/

New York
reviews: 28
12. Re: Northern Lights

I have stayed on Cleary Summit, and the viewing is superb. The Ski lodge used to charge for vewing- do they still?? And they used to kick others out of the parking area. :) This was several years ago.

But, you don't have to drive that far, if you choose not to. I find the viewing, just over the hill on the Steese, past the Chena Hot Springs exit, along the side of the road excellent.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 25
13. Re: Northern Lights

There is a turnout at the top of the hill at Cleary Summit that is not owned by the Skiland folks so anyone can park there to view/photograph. When I was there in September, the area was full of people day-parking while out ATVing and hunting. I believe the turnout is state hwy property.

Wheatland, Wyoming
reviews: 23
14. Re: Northern Lights

You will have no problem with any of the Fairbanks roads now with one caveat. We have been having warm days with melting snow/ice on roads. That moisture refreezes at night and can be treacherous. One of the best spots to see the lights is atop Cleary Summit and the road up(Steese Hwy) has the ice problem I described. Just take it easy, up and down, you should have no problem at all.

Fishkill, New York
reviews: 21
15. Re: Northern Lights

We are done with our journey.....we saw a "decent" aurora on the 24th and after that its been downhill.

Very disappointing in terms of aurora viewing, but we had an amazing time here.

One thing I will say though....the gedds alaska website isn't the most accurate.

Fairbanks, Alaska
reviews: 1
16. Re: Northern Lights

You can also watch the salmon cam to check on the lights north of Fairbanks.

…nict.go.jp/live/…live_aurora_cam_e.html

17. Re: Northern Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, October 27, 2012