We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah vs Charleston

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastbourne, England
reviews: 179
Savannah vs Charleston

Planning trip next spring to South Carolina / Georgia / Tennessee. It will be our first trip to the area. We really have three days (four nights) to split between Charleston and Savannah, We would appreciate your views on how to spend one day or two days in or around Savannah. Interests are scenery, architecture, history and the flavour of the south.

4 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 253
1. Re: Savannah vs Charleston

Savannah is a very walking friendly city. Stay in the historic district and walk to the historic squares, take in a couple of the historic homes and then walk down to the riverfront area. Eat at the Olde Pink House. Enjoy your time in Savannah. If time go out to Ft. Pulaski, see the lighthouse and go out to Tybee Island and walk the beach.

Indiana
reviews: 8
2. Re: Savannah vs Charleston

We have stayed in Kiawah and Seabrook and driven to Charleston on several occasions. We have seen everything in downtown we have wanted to in a day . Touring the plantations on the outskirts will take another day or two. Savannah is another story. We have been to Savannah at least 5 times and have yet to see all we wanted to.

Wilkesboro, North...
reviews: 91
3. Re: Savannah vs Charleston

It's so hard to split these 2 cities apart. You need to 3-5 days in each to get a good feel. If you stick to just the historic districts, it can be done but when you throw in seeing plantations, beaches, forts and other excurisions, you're really pushing it to do either in 3 days. Since I don't know where you're flying into and leaving from it's difficult to say which one you go to first. My suggestion is spend 2 nights in one and 2 nights in the other if possible. Stay in the historic districts in both cities so you're able to walk around and only drive to plantations. The planations are nothing like what you may have seen in movies, tv, etc. In my opinion, most are over rated and over priced. The historic districts in both cities is where you should spend the majority of your time with maybe an excursion to Ft. Sumter, in SC and Ft. Pulaski in GA. I also recommend a visit to Bonaventure Cemetary if you have the time while in Savannah. If not or that doesn't interest you, then visit the Tybee Island Lighthouse.

Eastbourne, England
reviews: 179
4. Re: Savannah vs Charleston

into and out of Charlotte NC, I do want to spend some of the trip in Smoky mountains, which is why I've suggested three days between the two towns, from what I read here I might extend that.

Reply to: Savannah vs Charleston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted