We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic District Churches

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tyrone, Georgia
reviews: 103
Historic District Churches

Are most of the churches in the HD open to weekday visitors the way the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is? I know we will pass them on the trolley tour and would love to see inside but really don't want to make the effort to go back to them just to find they are not open. I have checked web sites but haven't found any mention of weekday hours on most of them.

Savannah, Georgia
reviews: 2
1. Re: Historic District Churches

Many are not open during the weekday except for midday or early evening services. The Jewish synagogue offers tours, see Temple Mickve Israel. The Cathedral is closed weekdays for noon Mass. Worshipers are welcome during Mass but no touring os allowed then. The cathedral amy also close at any time for a funeral, etc.

Michigan
reviews: 107
2. Re: Historic District Churches

If you're going to be in Savannah for the week end, a real experience is to attend an Independent Presbyterian service. The building is amazing; hearing the singing and organ is awesome. The church isn't open for tours so this is an even better way to see it. You can see the baptisimal font that survived the 1819 fire. Woodrow Wilson was married there in 1885. Lot's of history and a wonderful way way to experience it.

Tyrone, Georgia
reviews: 103
3. Re: Historic District Churches

Thanks so much both of you. We do not arrive until late afternoon on Sunday. We are planning on going to the Late Church at the Lucas Theater. I know this is not a historic church but thought it would be a nice way to see the inside of the theater and to spend our Sunday evening since there are probably not any shops open at that time. I am disappointed the churches are not open on weekdays. I have seen the inside of the Cathedral but my husband has not so we will definitely get by there and do understand about the possible closures. Thanks again!!

Michigan
reviews: 107
4. Re: Historic District Churches

The Lucas Theater has self guided tours Tues-Fri 10:00-4:00. We did the tour when in Savannah this spring. My husband really enjoyed it because he lived in Savannah as a child, and saw Shane there. Independent has an evening service. At 5:15 there is music with a service at 5:30. On Wednesday there is a service from 12:00 to 12:30. You could see both places! Have a wonderful time.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
reviews: 69
5. Re: Historic District Churches

I like the visit Christ Church, the Mother Church of Georgia - http://www.ccesavannah.org/ Historic Christ Church Episcopal is a member of the Diocese of Georgia and The Episcopal Church. Significant dates for the church include:

1733 - On February 12, the Colony of Georgia and Christ Church, a mission of the Church of England under the ecclesiastical authority of the Bishop of London, are founded.

1736 – The Rev. John Wesley becomes the minister. While here, he starts America’s first Sunday School and publishes the first English hymnal for use in America.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
6. Re: Historic District Churches

I also recommend the tour of the First African Baptist Church - sharing its history during the Underground Railroad. Amazing. http://firstafricanbc.com/history.asp

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
7. Re: Historic District Churches

The third I recommend would be the tour of the Temple. Very well done - mickveisrael.org/index.php…

8. Re: Historic District Churches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, December 14, 2013