We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach...
reviews: 1
Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

Leaving Boston MA on 8-31 and need to be in WPB FL the evening of 9-8. Want to experience as many historic sites as I can fit in, including Washington DC on the way down. First stop will be Ellis Island. Can anyone assist from there? Thank you:)

Savannah, GA
reviews: 49
1. Re: Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

Here some ideas going down the 95 corridor with a few detours

Next stop would have to be Philadelphia Liberty Bell and Independence Hall

Baltimore Fort McHenry birth place of the National Anthem

Virgina Manassas Battlefield PARK and Jamestown Colonial Williamsburg

Charleston SC Fort Sumpter site of the beginning of the civil war

Savannah with its Historic District that was saved during the Civil War

Jeckyl Island Ga- Cottage colony built during the Guilded Age,

West Palm Beach...
2. Re: Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

Great ideas. Thank you so very much. Not knowing how much time to spend in each and driving in between, do you think I could fit a day or two in Washington DC?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 279
3. Re: Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

Great ideas- also might add Amelia Island, Fl which has historic Ft. Clinch SP- Civil War fort and lighthouse.

From Boston to WPB you are talking about 24 hours of just driving time.

IMO you will just have to choose which sites you really want to visit and build your trip plan around that. If you want to visit Washington, DC for a day or two then you will need to eliminate other sites. Remember you will have more traffic in large cities and it will take you longer to do those activities unless you do some sort of tour.

Charleston, SC has the historic district, market square area and then a boat ride out to Ft. Sumter, Savannah is easily walkable with everything in close proximity, Jamestown is easy to access but Colonial Williamsburg could easily take you a day or a week to see.

Good luck with your planning!!

Mississippi
reviews: 9
4. Re: Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

I second Amelia Island. Fernadina Beach is a neat town to visit. Be sure to visit Charleston and Savannah also. Stop in Beaufort, SC for lunch on your way to Savannah. Enjoy your trip.

Georgia
5. Re: Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

Barb, You've got a lot of ground to cover. As someone already said, a total of at least 24hrs driving.

I think you have two basic choices, hug the coast (95 mostly) or find a more inland route (95 and 81).

A day or two or 3 (1 night or 2) in DC would be time well spent! There is just so much to see. A stop in DC probably means 95 all the way, although, you could jump over to 81 from there, but adds more time.

BTW, 81 vs. 95, all things equal is a no-brainer for me! 81 is sa very beautiful stretch of hightway, well built and stress free!!!

OK, Boston to NYC, you might consider a swing by Newport RI. Many mansions fomr the guilded age. I'd plan to stop in Philadelphia. Lots of things downtown, but I love Valley Forge which is about 15m west of downtown. Also, take a look at some of the attraction in the Brandywine Valley near Wilmington. Lots of mansions and stuff, mostly DuPont related.

After DC, head south. There are lots of Civil War battlefields along the way. Also Williamsburg VA. After that, I'd blast thru to the Charleston SC area, then Savannah, then maybe Jeckyll Island. Then FLA.

Now thinking along the Rt 81 lines. May need to skip DC (maybe better to plan a trip specifically for DC where you cana spend more time). From the NYC area, I'd catch 81 and I'd make a point to stop at Gettysburg (one of my 5 favorite eplaces in the US). Then head south, more civil war battles fields, Manassas (sp?- all most into DC at that point), Antietem (sp, again). Then catch the north end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can drive the whole thing which will chew up lots of time, or switch between 81 an the BRP. Shenandoah Valley, caverns, (not to be missed) Montecello. COntinue down the mtns and spend a day at The Biltmore in Asheville. From there, I'd find my way back over to 95 and Charleston.

Anyway, those are 2 main options.

A couple other suggestions:

- I'd suggest listing the attractions you'd like to visit. In order north to south.

- Take a wild guess at how much time you would spend there.

- Note the opening hours/days.

--> DO take advantage of that 9am-5pm+/- window. Fill it with attractions. Then use those hours before or after to knock off your major mileage (1500+/-).

- DO also get familiar with GoogleMaps. You can enter in your detinations and it will give you mileage and time estimates, as well as, route alternatives. Also on googlemaps, you can enter for instance: hotels in Richmond, or resturants in... or attractions in.... in the search box.

FWIW,....

Kevin

Savannah
reviews: 2
6. Re: Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

If you like camping, Cumberland Island is definitely worth a stop. One of the few places left where you can see wild horses. You may also think about getting onto route 17 in Charleston and taking it to Savannah and down to Brunswick. It`s a beautiful drive and you get to see much more than on I 95. Just hop back on 95 in Brunswick. .

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 170
7. Re: Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

Savannah is a great stop but also check out St Augustine, FL and the Castillo de San Marco!

Wilkesboro, North...
reviews: 93
8. Re: Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

There's a lot of construction going on right now on I-81 I've heard above Roanoke. I don't know how much construction is going on I-95 so for me I'd stick with I-95 unless you're wanting to visit Asheville. Asheville and the Smoky Mountains is a trip I'd do on it's own not with the trip you're talking about.

If you have a smart phone or tablet, I'd download Priceline's app and check it daily for great last minute rates. Lots of hotels have last minute rates and it depends on how booked a hotel is. I've seen great hotels that usually run $200 or more a night and the rate would easily be under a $100 a night after 3:00 p.m.

I'd definitely stick with the historic cities on this trip. Savannah and Charleston will be probably be close to full capacity Labor Day weekend but during the week you should be fine for a stop at both or either of these historic districts. Once again Charleston or Savannah can be a trip on their own but they are definitely worth a stop in for a night or a meal or longer if you have the time.

Hope you have a fun and safe trip.

Mass
9. Re: Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

Hello All,

I too am planning this trip for next spring and will have 10 days. I will be very interested in hearing how your trip went and what recommendations you suggest. Have a great trip.

Savannah, Ga
10. Re: Help with Eastern Seaboard roadtrip Boston to FL 8-31 to 9-8

Cindy, this was an old post from 2012. Let's hope her trip went well, but I doubt she will come back here to check it out.

However, I have a suggestion. If you are making this a complete round trip, instead of seeing everything on the way down, plan just a couple of stops on your way down, and the rest on your way back.