We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Savannah

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 63
Christmas in Savannah

I will be spending Christmas Eve and Day in Savannah (at the Azalea B and B). I've been to Savannah before, back in 2000 (before Paula Dean's restaurant moved to its big new location!) and am excited to be headed back. However, I do know that most restaurants close down for Christmas Eve and Day. It will be just me, I'm driving down from Charleston on the 24th, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a place to have Christmas dinner. I've heard the Pink House is open, but have read varying reviews. Presume the big hotel restraurants will be open too? Any ideas? I'm not fussy and don't need to spend bookoo bucks for dinner. I also heard that I will need to reserve way in advance, like before Thanksgiving. Will Christmas Eve be as bad? (I was kind of hoping the Crab Shack or Pearl's Elegant Pelican might be open the 24th).

I plan to spend a leisurely Christmas day re-exploring Tybee Island and seeing the cemetaries (as I did not have a car last time) after midnight mass at the cathedral, but any other suggestions welcomed. Thanks much!

Clearwater
reviews: 53
1. Re: Christmas in Savannah

Can't be of much help on the restaurants yet but post again closer to your visit and I will try to help if you don't have it worked out by then.

Savannah, Georgia
reviews: 3
2. Re: Christmas in Savannah

I completly agree with BrianO's sujestion, as usual.

Christmas is Savannah is Beautiful. But, many many restaurants are closed Christmas Day. Plus, many places will also be closed on Christmas Eve. And, just about all of the shops will be closed either one or both days.

Lady & Son's & the Crab Shack are usually closed on Christmas.

The Pink House was open last year, so they might be open again this year....I think??? Most of the hotels will offer Christmas Day Buffets. One of the best is at the Doubletree Historic Savannah. But, you definitly need to call around when the time gets closer, usually about mid-December.

Have fun, Merry Christmas (several months early), and Welcome to Savannah.

Los Angeles...
3. Re: Christmas in Savannah

Thanks everyone, I will check back closer to the time. Am looking forward to my visit already----I am driving from Charleston to Savannah, then on to Amelia Island, Apalachiola (forgive me if I misspell these, being a Yankee igonramus and such :) ) and finally Magnolia Springs. I've wanted to do this for years....and I finally am!

Clearwater
4. Re: Christmas in Savannah

Good for you, we are honored that you have chosen us as one of your stops. Keep in touch here, if we can help you with anything.

:)>

Savannah, Georgia
reviews: 1
5. Re: Christmas in Savannah

True story about a Christmas Dinner in Savannah.

It was several years ago. My husband was in the hospital. The staff moved him into a big semi-private room (with no room mate) so that we could have our Christmas there with him. Our sons and their wives brought the gifts etc. We had a great time, but then it was time to let him rest and go find a place to eat. Our favorite Chinese restaurant was open, so the eight of us headed there. One of the sons recogized a couple going in at the same time. So we had a Chinese Dinner for TEN. You never saw so much sampling of different dishes. The cooks out did themselves fixing up things.

So maybe if all else fails, you can do Chinese!!

Clearwater
6. Re: Christmas in Savannah

Flying in the face of tradition, how "Savannah" of you. Thanks for the smile Aileen.

Los Angeles...
7. Re: Christmas in Savannah

Yep, Chinese is always right. When I lived in London, Indian was the favorite. Here in LA Thai is very popular too.

Darn I am hungry NOW for she crab soup and hushpuppies and some sweet tea! C'mon December, hurry up! Or I'll have to order some fixins online! (gasp!)

Savannah, Georgia
8. Re: Christmas in Savannah

Don't forget the Peach-Cobbler & Deep-Fried Turkey.....LOL...

Savannah, Georgia
9. Re: Christmas in Savannah

Come to think of it, I had Chinese myself last year.

(The Wok-Inn)

Clearwater
10. Re: Christmas in Savannah

We have completely corrupted this thread now, so let's go with it :)>

Davthox have you been to the sushi place on the same side of Broughton as the wok-inn? Much better chinese food than Wok in my opinion, can't think of the name, looks kinda funky from outside but good food and a cheap lunch special.