We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

romantic getaway

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
romantic getaway

For a romantic getaway is the admri fell inn a good place to stay.

annapolis, md
reviews: 1
1. Re: romantic getaway

I have not stayed there but honestly (I may get yelled-at for this one) but I don't think Baltimore is a romantic place to visit. It has very many beautiful sites (historic buildings/monuments), great restaurants, some very nice waterfront hotels.... but.... I would never classify Baltimore overall as romantic.

Maybe I'm biased since I live here but Annapolis is much nicer, cleaner, and safer. Please don't get me wrong, the Baltimore inner harbor is safe (large police presence).... but just not as safe. Consider the Loew's Hotel or one of the historic inns near the State House (these get mixed reviews but Gov. Calvert and R. Johnson do look very nice from the outside).

historicinnsofannapolis.com/governor-house.p…

Centennial, Colorado
reviews: 11
2. Re: romantic getaway

I don't know. I guess Baltimore can be romantic, but it's not advertised as a city for romance. I've never been to the Admiral Fells Inn. I did however find it on tripadvisor when I did a search under Baltimore B&Bs/inns. It ranked 4th after Inn at 2920-1st, Gramercy Mansion-2nd, and Abercrombie Badger Bed and Breakfast-3rd. Never been to any of these, but you can look at the reviews and websites and decide for yourself. Admiral Fells Inn is www.admiralfell.com, Inn at 2920 is www.theinnat2920.com, Gramercy Mansion is www.gramercymansion.com, and Abercrombie is www.badger-inn.com. To me from a safety issue Abercrombie is in might be the least safest area. Admiral Fells in Fells Point and Inn at 2920 in Canton are basically in the same area. They are close somewhat close to the Inner Harbor and do tend to get noisy in the area. Though I've never been to the Gramercy I know that the Greenspring Valley area of Baltimore is probably the safest and most quiet out of the 4 because it is away from the main stream city and Inner Harbor area. Closer to the burbs. As for Annapolis I would say it is very historical. I don't know about it being very romantic either, but I guess more so than Baltimore. Though I couldn't find much on the governors houses I did find the website for the Loews Hotel in Annapolis. Again I've never stayed there before either and you can find it under tripadvisor when you search for Loews Annapolis Hotel. Their website is loewshotel.com/hotels/annapolis/default.asp . I hope this is helpful to you and good luck on your search!:)

Centennial, Colorado
reviews: 11
3. Re: romantic getaway

Hi I just came back cause I realised I had a typo in my previous post here. The website for the Loews Hotel in Annapolis is missing an 's'. So the website should be loewshotels.com/hotels/annapolis/default.asp . Sorry for the confusion.:)

Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 7
4. Re: romantic getaway

Romance is where you find it...The Admiral Fell Inn is at the busiest corner of the busiest party neighborhood in Baltimore. There are 20 bars within a block. There WILL BE noise until 2:30 or 3:00 am...the location is central to Bmores night life...close to some EXCELLENT restaurants...Charleston is right around the corner...Louisiana just 2 blocks down...new tapas spot Pazo is also very close...so is Peter's Inn...Fells Point is a classic colonial seaport...far less SANITIZED than sweet little Annapolis. Henderson's Wharf may be a more romantic choice for Fells Point...and a little quieter.

Lexington, Virginia
5. Re: romantic getaway

I can see if you are a nautical lover on a budget how going to Baltimore would be appealing. You have to be open to a colourful atmosphere and if you do leave Inner Harbor, it's true, the police force is limited. You are quasi-safe if you go up towards the U of MD law and med schools, the campus police are good at patrolling those few blocks [Paca, Fayette, Charles, Greene]. But other then that you are on your own. If you aren't on a budget, everyone is right, going to Annapolis is a lot more 'pretty' but it doesn't have such a diverse history. If you are set on Baltimore, the Inn at Henderson's Wharf is another option to stay at other then Admiral Fell Inn. Admiral Fell IS nice, but not exactly a picturesque building on the outside, but it is comfortable. To be honest, I put my money on Inn at 2920. It is my favorite place to stay when I go up there. Let me know if you want more information on Baltimore.

new jersey
6. Re: romantic getaway

we are going to the 1st mariner arena and we wanted some place different to stay then just a reg hotel. we dont get out much some im not sure of the area. Is it safe to walk from Fells point into the inner harbor area? If we stay by the airport what is the drive like to get to inner harbor? We are open to any suggestions

Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 7
7. Re: romantic getaway

March,

The walk from Fells Point to downtown is OK, but can be gritty at times depending on the block. The area between Fells Point (Inner Harbor East)Little Italy and downtown is in flux, but going uphill quickly...There are lots of new things going on there, Sylvan Education HQ, a brand new Whole Foods, new hotels and new townhouse construction just north of Little Italy....Just follow the crowds...On Eastern Avenue...or Fleet St. Stay close to the water...indeed, there is a promenade that runs most of the length of the harbor.

Closer to 1st Mariner Pier 5 Hotel...or even the Waterfront Marriott...a high-rise affording great views of the harbor.

Hilton Head Island...
8. Re: romantic getaway

As a former resident of Baltimore, I feel it can be a romantic spot if you know where to look. Location in the city makes a huge difference, so you're going to have to set your priorities. Would you rather be closer to your venue or near the waterfront in a B&B.

Unfortunaltely, the 1st Mariner isn't in a great location for ambiance. It's on Howard street a few blocks north of the inner harbor. While I wouldn't call it unsafe during the day, I wouldn't want to be wandering around at night especially if I was a visitor to the city.

The "Inner Harbor" is on Pratt St, and is fairly active at anytime of the day or night. There are mostly large chain hotels on Pratt St. I have only stayed at the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel, and it is fairly nice. For a pretty penny you can have a magnificent view of the inner harbor from an upper floor room. You will be close to all the touristy restaurants and attractions, and it should be a 8-10 minute walk to 1st Mariner.

I have aslo stayed at the Wyndham Inner Harbor, and it is right across the street from 1st Mariner Arena. It is a large hotel near the Inner Harbor. It is also a nice upscale hotel, but not anything spectacular. Close proximity to your venu is the plus here.

The hotels/ Inn previously recommended in Fell's Point or Canton are all great small hotels. But, I would definitely take a cab or water taxi from Canton or Fells Point. A walk from Fell's Point to the arena will probably take at least 30 minutes and from Canton to the arena up to an hour - It's a hike. Canton is up and coming, and a favorite restaurant and bar is Mama's on the Half Shell which is on Canton Square. Check out reviews in www.citypaper.com (Eats Guide). Fell's piont is definitely a younger party crowd. My favorite romantic restaurant is Kali's Court on Thames Street near the Admiral Fell Inn. If you go to Little Italy nearby, Ciao Bella restaurant is an absolute must. It's not your typical Italian fare - Lobster Thermador and Pollo Gabriella, yum!

The Pier 5 hotel is sort of a halfway point between the arena and Fells Point. I have not stayed there, but it looks fun and funky! It has a great location too.

The Mt. Vernon area is a great place to stay if you would like to see the elegance of old Baltimore. Altough I have not visited this hotel, The Peabody Court Hotel has great reviews and looks beautiful. I believe it is a Clarion property. It's in the Arts district. There are plenty of art museums, galleries, shops, cool bars, and great restaurants nearby, especially on Charles street. To get to the arena you can walk (approx. 10-12 minutes), take a quick cab ride (safest option), or hop on the light rail (the stop is a short walk). If you're in Mt. Vernon, Sacha's is a great restaurant, and Ixia is funky bar across the street. Be sure to visit the Owl Bar or the 13th Floor at the historic Belvedere Hotel. Red Maple is one of my favorite bar/ tapas restaurants. It is very chic, trendy and beautiful. Be warned, there is sometimes a cover after 8pm, and smoking is confined to the outdoor courtyard. Great mood, food, and music - reserve the "loft/ upstiars" table.

Wherever you stay, stay away from the "Power Plan Live". Unless you are into overcrowded cookie cutter theme bars/ restaurants/ clubs with scantily clad bachelorettes, strecth white SUV limos, and drunken meatheads, this is not the romantic night out you're looking for.

Also get a cab from the airport to downtown (15-20 min), and DO NOT stay at a hotel near the airport. Talk about poor ambiance! Also, always make sure your cab driver is liscenced. Baltimore is notorious for unliscenced cabs, and they are illegal and dangerous!

Hope this helps. Check out this article for more info. usatoday.com/travel/…wheretostay.htm

Lexington, Virginia
9. Re: romantic getaway

March -

Fells Point is definately not for someone looking for a quiet place in the city. Neither is it suitable for anyone with children or over the age of I'd say 35? maybe 40? It really is the club-bar section of town. Across the harbor, Federal Hill may have your handful of music joints but it'd not the hopping club-atmosphere you'd get in Canton/Fells Point section. Ciao Bella in Little Italy, the Charleston, and Hampton's are probably the most romantic restaurants in recent memory. If you stick to the harbor side of Fells Point, you should be fine. Likewise if you're going around S. Baltimore and Federal Hill. I personally find Federal Hill to be quite safe because it's got more of a cultural ambiance rather than 'good times' over at Fells Point. If you want along Key Hwy or Light Street, you should be okay. Those two lead up to the Inner Harbor/Harborplace/Gallery part you're likely to be familiar with. Key runs along the harbor, and goes by tow parks, in warm weather, all of the parks are really nice to sit in. Romantic too. Especially if you and your significant other are literary types who enjoy reading to each other. However, don't let that make you think Fells Point or Canton is something to skip over or to not stay at. They have great residences and hotels, and fun quirky shops. Federal Hill is just more quaint, I guess. It is the older section of the three. Cobblestone streets, etc. FP & Canton are more the old industrial side of Old Baltimore [as in, Poe's time]. And don't take the water taxis if there are any bad weather forecasts, I to this day am still not over that tragedy... Oh, and don't let us make you think there aren't any beggers in the Inner Harbor, there are, but they normally will leave you alone and not be of the harassing type.

-When are you going to go to Baltimore? - that makes a big difference.

-How long will you be there?

-Are you musically-inclined? Dancing? Theater? Shopping? Outdoorsy?

-What age group are you in?

Hope I am continuing to help!

new jersey
10. Re: romantic getaway

Going to Baltimore in April. Going to 1st Mariner arena we are in the 30-40 age group. It sounds like fells point is not where we should be staying. How would we get to the arena in the eveing if it is not real safe to walk and if some of the cab drivers are not licened? Is there some where else we could stay and just drive to the arena on the night of the event within a 15-20 min. drive. Thanks for allyou help.

march