We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking the B & A Trail

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auburn, California
reviews: 36
Biking the B & A Trail

Hello Baltimore Trip Advisors!

We'll be in Baltimore next weekend for a wedding and have an extra day before taking a train to NYC. My husband and I both like to bike and when I did a search in this forum I came up with a few posts and it looks like the B & A trail is the way to go ; bike from Baltimore to Annapolis, stop for lunch and then back.

I'm looking for a convenient bike rental place. We're staying at the Embassy Suites Baltimore - at BWI airport hotel. It's at 1300 Concourse Drive, Linthicum.

Suggestions on where to get the bike rental and how to get to the trail?

Thank you so much!

~Melinda

Auburn, CA

Ellicott City...
reviews: 46
1. Re: Biking the B & A Trail

There is a bike shop relatively close to your hotel (about 5-10 min by car) that you might try contacting, I don't know if they rent but they might be able to help you out with some info.

http://aviationvelo.com/index.html

I pass by it often as I work in the area so I know its there, but I haven't actually been inside.

Maryland
reviews: 2
2. Re: Biking the B & A Trail

Not sure if your biking day is Friday but if so you may want to look into the Baltimore Bike Party.

http://baltimorebikeparty.com/

It's an expereince that you will not soon forget.

Auburn, California
3. Re: Biking the B & A Trail

Thank you, @bmorecrhis; I will check it out.

@mdboy; drat - our biking day will be on a Monday. Looks like the Friday rides are really fun!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
4. Re: Biking the B & A Trail

not sure of shops near airport but this one in Federal Hill is terrific'.

http://lightstcycles.com/

The other shop is fine also but not sure if they rent. You can check out website or call.

From your hotel area, you can get on the BWI trail which connects to the B&A trail. The trail actually ends about 4 miles outside of Annapolis. You ride on Rt 2 which has wide bike lane/breakdown lanes until you get over the Severn River Bridge. It is narrow on the far side of bridge for about 1/2 mile until you get to light at 450 and take a left going paralel to Naval Academy. At end of street, go right to the town center/waterfront. You can eat at any of the restaurants in the area but I usually get a sandwich at "THe Big Cheese" and eat outside. allmenus.com/md/…

The trail is relatively flat until you get off at the end and there are a couple of hills as well as the bridge.

From northern Terminus to Annapolis is about 17 miles. There are trailheads further down with parking if you don't want to go that far. BWI trail encircles BWI and is 11 miles, I believe. It is relatively flat as well with one hill.

The ride into annapolis is one of my favorites. Just before bridge is a memorial on the left. Stop and enjoy the views of the Severn River, Academy, State House... The entire trail is paved. If you want a drink on the water, Pusser's in the Marriott is about the only place for that. Also, if you have the energy, a short ride into Eastport is fun. Very neat part of Annapolis. It is past the Marriott, just over a small drawbridge.

Enjoy.

Edited: 2:44 pm, June 21, 2013
Auburn, California
5. Re: Biking the B & A Trail

@neslaw1; Thank you so much for the detailed description! I will call both bike shops tomorrow. My concern is that we have to find transportation from hotel to bike shop then get to the trail ( riding distance from either bike shop?) And then after our ride get bikes back and back to hotel. That's why I was hoping to find rental place near the hotel.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
6. Re: Biking the B & A Trail

Call aviation Velo. I think they are walking distance to north linthicun light rail. Just one stop from bwi. You can start and end your ride from there. Do get locks do you can walk around. Can't bike into naval academy.

Edited: 7:51 pm, June 21, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
7. Re: Biking the B & A Trail

Correction. The bike shop its right across from linthicum, not North linthicum. It's about 22 miles each way. Also saw a sign for bwi bike rental. Haven't looked out up yet

Auburn, California
8. Re: Biking the B & A Trail

FYI: We ended up going with BWI bike rental because it was near our hotel and the shuttle could take us there. Boy was it bad. They didn't have a shop; they had a bunch of bikes in a trailer and some out on the lawn in front of a building. The bikes were in BAD... really bad, shape. Like they bought a bunch of $50 bikes on craigslist and didn't clean them up.

The bikes were nothing like they showed on their website!

We were there and the shuttle had left so we decided to try it anyways. We found a bike that fit my 6'2" husband and one that worked for 5' me. Well maybe "worked" is the wrong word! My husband let the guy know that the stem was loose on his bike; the guy replied " the wheel won't turn?" Well no, the stem is on the handlebars not the wheels! Obviously they don't know anything about bicycles.

We got out on the trail (BWI trail on the way to the B&A trail) - loved the trail - loved watching the planes land but the shifters wouldn't work on the bikes, the breaks failed and at one point my husband's seat dropped down on one end in the middle of riding. After 20 minutes we gave up and returned the bikes and asked for our money back. I'm so glad they didn't argue - they knew how bad those bikes are and gave us our money back without a word.

I wish we had gone with Aviation Velo instead. Lesson learned.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
9. Re: Biking the B & A Trail

sorry bout the bikes. hope you get another opportunity

10. Re: Biking the B & A Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 10, 2014