We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baltimore for an afternoon

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, NY
reviews: 64
Baltimore for an afternoon

I am going to be in Baltimore this Saturday for about 5-6 hours with my family (husband, 16 yr old girl, 13 yr old boy). We're gong to arrive noon-ish, see some sights, have an early dinner then hit the road to get back to NY.

None of us have been to Baltimore (I was 25 yrs ago for a business lunch) so this is really just to get a taste of the city for a follow up weekend in the future.

What are "must see" spots in the city?

Where is good place to park the car for the day?

Suggestions for a resonably priced good restaurant?

Does Baltimore have an indoor market area like Philly's Reading Market?

We are thinking Inner Harbor since we have limited time - comments?

Maryland
reviews: 2
1. Re: Baltimore for an afternoon

Well if I had one day in Baltimore and it was this Saturday, I'd try to hit the American Visionary Art Museum (free on this Saturday - google Smithsonian museum day for details); try to get to the Baltimore Book Fair and hit Fells Point or Canton for dinner on my way north.

Baltimore has an indoor market - lexington Market - that is quite a bit more urban than Reading. Search here for more details.

Inner harbor is kind of like a mall near the water - lots of locals avoid it except for the views.

Ft. McHenry is a must see but may not be for you.

What kind of food do you want? brick oven pizza (BOP) in fells might be a good idea with the kids.

Check out Hampden if you have the time.

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 59
2. Re: Baltimore for an afternoon

Our Reading Market is Lexington Market. You can get to it pretty easily from the Inner Harbor. It's just a few stops north on the light rail. If you want to do a museum/oddity sorta thing I always recommend the American Visionary Arts museum. The kids will love it. You can get to it via the Charm City Circulator Banner Route. http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/

That's a free bus that's tourist oriented.

For reasonably priced food get up out of the Inner Harbor.

If you end up at Lexington market have a crabcake at Faidleys.

If you end up in Federal Hill walk through Cross St. Market for grub.

I just don't recommend any restaurant in the Inner Harbor unless your company is picking up the tab.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 12
3. Re: Baltimore for an afternoon

Just wander around Fells Point.

Park at the garage on S. Caroline Street -- it's $3 during weekends but it might be more during a weekday -- and Fells begins just around the corner on Thames Street. There are plenty of bars/restaurants that would be suitable for your family...you can just pick one that suits you or go with Thames Street Oyster House or Riptide on the Bay. Bertha's Mussels is also a local fave, but stay out of The Greene Turtle.

Maryland
reviews: 28
4. Re: Baltimore for an afternoon

The O's are playing the Red Sox at 7pm this Saturday at Camden yards. Expect big crowds on the west end of the inner harbor.

I would suggest the National Aquarium and inner harbor with kids. Fells Point without kids.

The American Visionary Arts museum is fun, I also like the Walters http://thewalters.org/

The Walters is free and the purple route on the Charm City Circulator goes direct from the harbor to the Walters.

For food near the inner harbor I like Joe Squared pizza.

Maryland
reviews: 28
5. Re: Baltimore for an afternoon

September 29th is free museum day. These museums are all going to be free: American Visionary Art Museum

B&O Railroad Museum

Baltimore Museum of Art

Baltimore Museum of Industry

Maryland Historical Society

6. Re: Baltimore for an afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, December 14, 2013