We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay? Near BWI or Inner Harbor?

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Where to Stay? Near BWI or Inner Harbor?

Please help me! I've been searching for days to find a decent and clean (but not 4 star budget) hotel to stay at when my husband and I visit next month and there are just so many. And so many say "BWI" but are 10-15 miles away, the whole purpose of staying near the airport would be for my traveling days. (Fly in, check in, fly out, leave, without loads of driving or whatever.) But then some of the places listed as located in the Inner Harbor seem so nice, and I have found relatively moderate prices. Oh - a few places have seemed great except we'd really like to have an indoor pool if possible. Trying to keep it below $200/night. One of the airport hotels that seemed clean and of good quality (and with an indoor pool, too!)seemed to be the BWI Wingate Inn. If we stayed in the Inner Harbor, and surrounding neighborhoods/areas, I just can't decide. There's a Sheraton and a Marriott that seem "within blocks" or everything but I'm pretty sure they had hefty pricetages uppwards of $400 or at least the Mariott. Cleaniness and comfort is a top preference. Thanks so much! I am so glad I stumbled upon this site! I have been reading so much good info and taking notes, I already feel like I know the place...a little! Any help will be so appreciated!

Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 7
1. Re: Where to Stay? Near BWI or Inner Harbor?

winegirl,

The Hampton Inn and Suites on Redwood should fit the bill. Currently showing an average of $175 a night, they have an indoor pool and generally positive ratings. Traveling bewteen BWI and downtown will get old very quickly...but the light rail is just a few blocks from this hotel.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 48
2. Re: Where to Stay? Near BWI or Inner Harbor?

I've read this twice and I'm not sure what the question is! :)

Are you looking for a hotel in downtown Baltimore, or something near the airport?

annapolis, md
reviews: 1
3. Re: Where to Stay? Near BWI or Inner Harbor?

Go to biddingfortravel.com and learn about the techniques for getting 4* hotels for cheap on Priceline.com. You may get your $200/nt hotel for only $75.

NY
4. Re: Where to Stay? Near BWI or Inner Harbor?

Thanks to all. It seems that the distance between BWI and downtown is about 10-15 miles - I think? (Well, based on what BWI area hotels I'm looking at, and they seem to be spread out pretty good.)

Anyway originally the trip was going to be a D.C. trip until I got a great deal on airfare roundtip to BWI. ($39/each way! Awesome!) So then as I researched Baltimore and realized that its about 40-give-or-take miles to D.C., (my husband and I primarily wanted to visit the Smithsonian) and I started reading about all the great stuff in Baltimore, the museums and shopping and scenery, and of course the Inner Harbor, I really wanted to incorporate that into half the weekend! So I think I'm going to opt for the downtown area, so that I can have as little commuting as possible to and from the airport area. I'm going to check into the Hampton Inn and others closeby in fact I remember seeing that one in my searches, and see what I can come up with.

I did go to Hotels.com and a few other discount sites but I always get nervous not booking directly from the hotel. I don't know why. Not like I've ever really been screwed to badly but I did have an unpleasant experience w/Priceline some years back in dealing with a car I rented.

Thanks again!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 12
5. Re: Where to Stay? Near BWI or Inner Harbor?

You can stay at the hotels at BWI and take the light rail into Baltimore. When you are ready to go back to your hotel and it's after midnight [ I think?] you will have to take cab back. The light rail stops then, I think. It's about 12-15 miles from downtown to BWI. Just make sure you ask if they are right at the airport. Like many places if you venture too far away from the tourist area you may be somewhere you may not want to be. Same with downtown. I am not sure who has pools. When you do your search just make sure you are right in the Inner Harbor,or immediate downtown business area, Fells Point is also fine. Stay away from responses like- we're on the outskirts or the we're in the Inner Harbor "area". Usually thats means they are alittle too far away for most peoples liking. Just ask them to be specific. I think you will get what you pay for however. Most of the hotels in the Inner Harbor can be pricey, but are the most consistently great places to stay. Baltimore unfortunately can have a shortage of hotels if there are conventions, etc in town.

Maryland
6. Re: Where to Stay? Near BWI or Inner Harbor?

If you stayed near the airport and if it was a weekday, you could always take the MARC train from right next to BWI into Washington. The train stops at Union Station. You'd also have the option to take the light rail into Baltimore since there's a station also close to BWI.

Rob

NY
7. Re: Where to Stay? Near BWI or Inner Harbor?

So we have decided to go with the Marriott Camden Yards - we got a decent rate with the AAA discount - and opted to NOT rent a car after some good advice on here! We'll just take the train into DC for our Smithsonian day. Anyway, can anyone tell me 1) how close the hotel is to Legal Seafoods (the only chain, anywhere, that we will go to!!!) and 2)what is the easiest way into DC. Is it the train (Penn station?), where do we get that, and is it a straight trip? THANKS again, we are so grateful to have "insider" tips!

Jen

Baltimore, MD
reviews: 1
8. Re: Where to Stay? Near BWI or Inner Harbor?

Marriott Camden Yards is at Eutaw and Pratt Streets. It's 6 level blocks to the east to reach Legal Seafood at Calvert and Pratt Streets. It's walkable, though you may opt to catch a cab if you feel you need to. The hotel MAY have a shuttle to accomodate you.

For your DC Daytrip, if you plan to leave during Rush hours (leave Balto before 8am, and return in the 330p-7p hour), you can simply catch the MARC Camden Line, which boards right behind the Sport Legends at Camden Yards 2 blocks away (its the former Camden Station, a stately old brick building with a center tower and wings). Round trip per person should be about $14.

If you're looking to kick off a little bit later, you'll have to use the MARC Penn Line from Penn Station which runs throughout the day. To get here, your best bet is to catch any Northbound ("TIMONIUM" "HUNT VALLEY") Light Rail train (purchase your ticket from the machine BEFORE boarding) from from the Convention Center Stop (1 block from your hotel) to the UNIVERSITY OF BALTIMORE - MT. ROYAL stop, then cross the platforms and board the PENN STATION SHUTTLE train, which takes you right to track level, climb the stairs and head over to the Amtrak Ticket window, asking for a pair of MARC Round trip tickets to DC, look on the info board for the next MARC Departure, and board when its ready!

FYI, if you decide you want to leave a little later, but return in the rush hours, you can get a round trip MARC ticket on the Penn Line and return to the station right near your hotel using the Camden Line - the tickets ARE interchangable.