We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baltimore National Aquarium without a stroller......HOW?

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
reviews: 4
Baltimore National Aquarium without a stroller......HOW?

Considering visiting Baltimore's National Aquarium next month. My 4 year old daughter loves to visit aquariums. I also have a 15 mo. old son; and I read on the National Aquarium's web site that stroller's are not allowed. Just wondering if there are any parents out there with toddlers that have visited the aquarium; and how they managed to get around without restraining their "little ones". There is no way my son would just walk and hold our hand; and, he is much to heavy to constantly carry through the aquarium. I definitely would be in desperate need of a chiropractor after that visit!

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Baltimore, MD
reviews: 1
1. Re: Baltimore National Aquarium without a stroller......HOW?

It's crazy but it's real. I just double-checked their web-site (www.aqua.org) and only kids with disabilities are allowed in strollers. I have taken my kids there several times. A lot of the exhibits are at a level where the kids can see easily without being held. For others they need to be held. Sounds like a backpack-baby carrier might be your best alternative. When you see the crowds, you will understand why they don't want strollers.

Philadelphia
reviews: 12
2. Re: Baltimore National Aquarium without a stroller......HOW?

I was there Sunday, and it was a madhouse without strollers - there is limited floor space and the escalators/ramps are pretty narrow, so strollers would be impossible. Some people were using those little harnesses and leashes to keep track of their toddlers, others were using backpacks, chestpacks, and carrying tots on their shoulders. If it's possible, I'd say leave your son with your husband while you and your daughter go into the aquarium.

NJ
reviews: 2
3. Re: Baltimore National Aquarium without a stroller......HOW?

ok now i'm terrified of goin to the aquarium! I have a 14 month old daughter and we live in NJ. We wanted to take a trip in September to this beautiful place....how in the world can we do this w/o a stroller?? She walks don't get me wrong and she's good at it! But walking all day long with her might be a problem...I'm glad I read this post!!

Pittsburgh, PA
4. Re: Baltimore National Aquarium without a stroller......HOW?

I went to the Aquarium with my 15-month-old daughter and my mom during a stay in Baltimore in May. It was awesome! They have a stroller check-in right beside the escalator, and they provide you with a very nice backpack. It's best to have your tickets ready so you don't have to go back to will call, as we had to do. Oops! It was a little bit of hike because there was construction going on.

Like others, I was also concerned at first about my baby being happy in the backpack and also about me being able to carry 20 + pounds on my back for a few hours, but my back didn't bother me during or after the visit.

The exhibits are wonderful. Definitely take both children with you. My daughter watched everything, smiled a lot (per Grandma), and during the last 15 minutes of our visit even fell asleep, which enabled my mom and I to enjoy a delicious meal at Phillip's without baby talk.

I can't say enough good things about the Aquarium. Oh, I almost forgot, during the dolphin show, I took my baby out of the backpack (it folds up) and she sat on my lap. That way she and I both got to stretch a little. I could talk forever about our trip, so I guess I better stop here. If you have any questions, post and I'll answer. And have a great time in Baltimore!!!