We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips to New York

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
Trips to New York

I will be in Baltimore for 4 months beginning next week. My mom, sister, and friend will be visiting me in late October. They would like to take a weekend trip to New York City. We only have time to stay one night (Saturday). What do you recommend on getting there, things to do, etc.? I have been told that it is easy to drive to New Jersey (Hoboken or Jersey City) and take the ferry. Any other ideas?

Owings Mills, MD
reviews: 8
1. Re: Trips to New York

The bus is the most affordable option. There are several carriers: Greyhound, Hunt Valley Motor Coach, and the Chinatown Bus. You will spend between 50 and 100 per person.

The Amtrak train is much more expensive. If I remember correctly, it's around $200 per person.

I'm not sure about the ferry, but the drive to NJ should be about 3 hours, depending on traffic/ time of day. I would recommend and EZ Pass for the drive up 95- it will save you tons of time at the tolls.

Obviously, check NY forums for things to do, but Central Park and shopping in Chinatown are two of my favorites. And of course all of the museums.

Ellicott City MD
reviews: 12
2. Re: Trips to New York

If this is a first time trip for your visitors to NYC I would recomend either taking a Circle Line Tour, http://www.circleline42.com/ or a Gray Line Tour. The Circle Line tour offers either a guided 2 or 3 hour tour up the Hudson River where you see some major landmarks such as: Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the UN, Financial District, the Battery, The boat does not dock but it does give you great photo opportunities. The Gray Line tour also offers many options and you travel via a guided double decker bus.

If you like to shop, NYC is a shopping mecca from the Village, Chinatown, Fifth Ave, SoHo. Two of my favorite stores in NYC for home furnishing is ABC Home Store and Fish Eddys.

If the theatre is your thing the options on Broadway are endless.

Have a good trip.

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 5
3. Re: Trips to New York

We have taken several trips to NYC and have used Superior Tours. They have been wonderful. They have a website of the same name. We get there in about 3 hours and don't have to worry about tolls or parking and you get dropped off in midtown. I highly recommend them. I've also heard good things about Hunt Valley Motor coach. We've never driven, the bus is just to easy.

Also, check out forum for NYC, they are wonderful and have lots of local experts, I spend a lot of time there when planning a trip.

I hope you will have time to explore Baltimore, it's a great city. Also, take advantage of D.C. as well it's only an hour away!

Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
reviews: 41
4. Re: Trips to New York

Also check Jet Blue - they have cheap flight deals all the time, and I have flown to Dulles for $39 - if you have limited time, It might be worth the plane ticket.

5. Re: Trips to New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 10, 2009