We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

Which Astoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 14
Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

Which one would you recommend? We will be traveling from Seattle and wanted to see the Oregon coast line. I am traveling with my FIL who is visiting from the East Coast. We don't have much time and will be spending the night in McMinnville, OR. thank you!

reviews: 768
1. Re: Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

Seaside and Cannon Beach are only ten minutes apart. What is your budget for lodging? :)

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
reviews: 46
2. Re: Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

you can see astoria on the way south down 101 as syrah said seaside and cannon beach are a few miles apart -- really dont think you can make the trip in 10 min -- i would allowb at least double that --maybe even closer to 30 min

seaside is a coney island type of town --- i would stay in cannon beach

you dont say when you will be travelling or how many nites you will spend on the coast ---

Graham, Washington
reviews: 167
3. Re: Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

Cannon Beach is pretentious, nice, but very full of itself and expensive and does not offer the "things to do" like Seaside. If you have children, Seaside is the place to stay. Additionally, north of Seaside you have Gearhart and Astoria which are full of things to keep anyone busy.

Lougee is correct about the time between towns. Highway 101 is a "proving ground" for everyone learning how to drive a motorhome or pull a trailer, so 35 MPH is about what you should expect.

Oregon
reviews: 40
4. Re: Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

SeattleRainyDay - are you asking about where to stay overnight at the coast or just asking where to stop and eat/visit/shop?

If you want an overnight suggestion, McMenamin's has just opened a hotel at Gearhart (north of Seaside). Haven't stayed there yet, but we love all the other McMenamin's locations, particularly Grand Lodge and Edgefield. Always funky, always relaxed, not pretentious. Many places at the coast have a 2 or 3 night minimum, but from what I see online, this doesn't apply at the Gearhart Hotel.

Orchards, Washington
reviews: 3
5. Re: Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

Astoria, of course, is not on the Pacific Ocean, it is on the mouth of the Columbia. Astoria is a very historical town with old buildings and victorian houses. Grean maratime meusium.

Seaside is just an old fashioned beach town that's lots of fun.

Cannon Beach, as ilwaco61 says, is "pretentious" and in to itself.

Edited: 6:04 pm, July 14, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
reviews: 46
6. Re: Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

Cannon Beach, as ilwaco61 says, is "pretentious" and in to itself.>>

but in my opinion a town that offers more then many of the others on the coast

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
7. Re: Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

Lots more comments on the 'same' subject on this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g51790-i503-k55374…

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 35
8. Re: Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

Any reason you topped this old post, syrahgirl? SeattleRainyDay has already come and gone, and wrote a short trip report saying Cannon Beach was by far her favorite. In fact, you responded to the trip report with your usual, "glad you enjoyed your time in....."

Orchards, Washington
reviews: 3
9. Re: Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

Oh, oh. We've been snookered!

10. Re: Trying to decide between Astoria, Seaside, or Cannon Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Astoria