We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goonies Freak!

Which Astoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore
reviews: 7
Goonies Freak!

Alright, I have to admit that I'm a total Goonies freak, and plan on visiting Astoria next summer to see some of the sights from the film. Does anyone have suggestions as to movie sights that are easily accessible? If I'm correct I think that the beach scenes, with the rocks, were filmed at Cannon Beach? Any info would be very helpful!

Also, dining suggestions would be appreciated. Love local pubs as well.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
1. Re: Goonies Freak!

I grew up with the goonies and love the movie as well.

the rocks, lighthouse and the restaurant(no real restauarnt) match up as Ecola State Park in Cannon beach.

You can walk up near the goonies house as long as you dont gawk too long. If I remember right, they have a sign that says pics ok, but please be respectful of the current owners, etc... I think the jail is a museum now...

movielocationsguide.com/Goonies,_The/filming…

The Wet Dog Cafe, Fort George Brewery or the Bowpicker(excellent fish n chips) are my top choices.

There were a few other films filmed in Astoria as well, most notably Kindergarten Cop...

reviews: 714
2. Re: Goonies Freak!

If you go to Cannon Beach, Warren Pub is great, also. There is a small patio where you can sit ourside if the weather is nice. In Astoria, there is also Rogue Public Ale House where you will have beautiful views of the Columbia River. They have fantastic clam chowder there.

Ship Inn in Astoria is another favorite of ours, they have excellent Halibut fish and chips there and pretty views of the river and bridge. Bowpicker has really good Albacore Tuna fish and chips.

Enjoy your time in Astoria. www.oldoregon.com :)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
3. Re: Goonies Freak!

Yes, the majority of the movie was shot at Ecola State Park, with the beach scenes between there and Haystack Rock (I worked on this movie). Of course, the set, including the old restaurant, were just props and do not exist any more. The scenery is still there :~).

In my travel experiences, one great judge of local restaurants is wether or not the locals frequent them. In the case of the Ship Inn, the majority of the locals stay as far away as they can!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 752
4. Re: Goonies Freak!

The Ship Inn? Used to be one of our favourites but now is a horrible place - and we are most definitely not picky "foodie" types!

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60806-d6146…

It's been for sale for years and the owners are desperately cutting costs any way they can. That's according to one local we recently spoke with.

Syrahgirl have you eaten there since your 2006 review?

We like Wet Dog, but it will be loud if there is a weekend band playing.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
5. Re: Goonies Freak!

The Ship Inn certainly was one of the best restaurants on the coast when I lived there back in the 60's through the late 70's lol!! Was in Astoria for a week for a trainning seminar in '04 and thought I'd try it again for old-times sake. YUK! Went back in '06 to give it one last try and was sorry I did!! After, I talked to several old friends and they chastized me for not asking them before I wasted my money, saying "nobody eats there any more!".

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 110
6. Re: Goonies Freak!

According to Syrah, she's never had anything but a yummy meal...anywhere!

Almost 18,000 postings and nary a negative experience. Amazing! For my money, I think I'll take the reports of dengay and half-Brit more seriously.

Kaneohe, Hawaii
reviews: 31
7. Re: Goonies Freak!

No recent posts but it looks like your trip is still upcoming. When you get to town stop by the Chamber of Commerce Visitor's Center. They have information about movie tours and other filming locations such as the Flavel House or the highschool football field used in the opening scene. The year I moved to Astoria was the 20th anniversary and they set up a large inflatable movie screen in the field to watch the movie. I think that year Corey Feldman was the only one who visited but it looks like they had a bigger turnout for the 25th (I had since moved away).

It's really a beautiful area. One of my absolute favorite places in the area was Fort Stevens State Park, specifically the Army Corps of Engineers tower built at the south jetty of the Columbia River. And if you do pass through stop by the Iredale Shipwreck in the park as well.

Dining options- I liked Wet Dog's burgers and Plaza Jalisco for Mexican food. I don't care for Rogue Ale House's food but I do love Rogue beers and the view of the river is great. T Paul's Urban Cafe is a great place to swing in for lunch.

reviews: 714
8. Re: Goonies Freak!

We recently dined at T Pauls' Supper Club and had a great meal there! Baked Alaska is also producing some very good food these days with beautiful views. Columbian Cafe is one to to miss, also. We like to sit at the bar and watch the chef cook. Their pot de creme there is delicious! :)

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 29
9. Re: Goonies Freak!

Thanks for reporting back, syrahgirl. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! :)

NJ
reviews: 10
10. Re: Goonies Freak!

How far is the location where the filming of Kindergarten Cop took place from the cruise ship docks?

PLEASE REPLY to RRDSPR@GMAIL.COM

TKS

Get answers to your questions about Astoria