We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Astoria New Years Eve

Which Astoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hillsboro, Oregon
reviews: 47
Astoria New Years Eve

We're considering spending New Years weekend in Astoria, and I was looking for something to do. Came across this Scandinavian New Years Eve party. I'm not sure if it's an annual event, or a one-time thing. Tickets seems pretty reasonable, at $45 for a couple.

We're from Hillsboro, and don't know anyone in Astoria. Has anyone been to this before? Wondering if we would feel out-of-place, if all the other attendees were locals.

-- Meg

Portland, Oregon
1. Re: Astoria New Years Eve

Since no one else has responded.....

I read here - http://www.oldoregon.com/ - that this will be the 2nd time the event's been held. And I didn't go to the first, but I'd guess that it will be mostly locals attending. My logic? 1. I suspect that there will be few non-locals in Astoria over New Years, and 2. Only Scandinavians (of which there are many in the area) would pay $45 to eat lutefisk. ;-) Still, I'd be tempted to check it out. You won't know anyone regardless of where you go, and you just might get to see one of those stoic Norwegians smile, maybe even laugh.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 787
2. Re: Astoria New Years Eve

I can only speak from my experience in Newport, but New Year's Eve parties here that are held at hotels attract people from the valley and Portland, *not* locals.

I looked on the link that mistletoe provided and since this is sponsored by the Cannery Pier hotel, I'm guessing it will attract a lot of out-of-towners, since everybody who has stayed at the hotel this year probably got an email/mail notice about it.

Portland, Oregon
3. Re: Astoria New Years Eve

I'd be interested to know where you read about this event, Meg.

Obviously, an event held at a hotel would attract hotel guests. But that Newport analogy isn't relevant here, half-Brit, since this event is not being held at the Cannery Pier. Oldoregon.com is Astoria's Chamber of Commerce website, so it may simply be that Cannery Pier agreed to "sponsor" a Chamber-organized event. But the kicker for me is, why would there be a Scandinavian theme if they weren't hoping to attract the large population of local Scandinavians?

But, what do I know..............

Hillsboro, Oregon
reviews: 47
4. Re: Astoria New Years Eve

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I did get reservations to stay in Astoria for the weekend, and we'll go to the event on New Years Eve. I found out about it on the Old Oregon website calendar, as I was specifically looking at the Dec 31 date.

I'm of Scandinavian descent so it sounded interesting to me, and the price seemed pretty reasonable for a New Years Eve party. I think we'll have fun, even if we don't know anyone there.

reviews: 735
5. Re: Astoria New Years Eve

I hope you have a great time, where are you staying in Astoria? Let me know if you would recs for great places to eat while you're in the area, we have several favorites! I hope you have some time to explore some of the Oregon Coast, Gearhart, Seaside and Cannon Beach are all right there. Have fun! :)

6. Re: Astoria New Years Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 21, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Astoria