We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JAX to Avenues Mall

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto Canada
reviews: 9
JAX to Avenues Mall

Hi there..

My mom and I need to get from the Jacksonville Airport into St. Augustine. We originally were planning on taking a bus from the airport downtown and then hopping on the Greyhound. Unfortunately there only seems to be two buses daily and they are both leaving before we get in.

I see the small Sunshine bus from St Augustine goes to the Avenues Mall but I'm having a hard time finding a transit route to the Avenues Mall from the airport. The CT3 bus (or skyway, can't remember) only goes as far as Bay Meadowlands which isn't south enough. Is there another route or are we looking at taking a quick taxi from there to the Avenues?

I know about the shuttles but they are quite pricey. We have no problem taking public transit.

Thanks!

Toronto Canada
1. Re: JAX to Avenues Mall

Hey I figured it out! The CT3 connects right up with the L7 which goes right into the Avenues.

Thanks anyway. Can't get my question to delete.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
2. Re: JAX to Avenues Mall

What's your budget?

The method you're taking is kinda convoluted, and may add tons of time onto your trip.That part of Jacksonville is not pedestrian friendly, and if you happen to be dropped off in the wrong place, it could spell trouble.

Toronto Canada
3. Re: JAX to Avenues Mall

You mean the area where the two buses meet up isn't very friendly?

We certainly don't want to drop $60 or $70 for that shuttle. And even renting a car to go one-way seems to be about $50. A lot of hassle and cost for a few hours.

Is there a better way?

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
4. Re: JAX to Avenues Mall

Coming from someone on a budget (I'm a student with a fixed income):

I'd gladly rather pay for a one way rental car (next best thing to a rental car: a shuttle) than taking connecting buses in the Baymeadows/Avenues area. The area is not pedestrian friendly at all. Very suburban. Tons of traffic. If the slightest thing goes wrong (dropped off in wrong area; miss a connection; etc), then you could potentially be stuck halfway between Jax and St. Augustine with nothing to do but take a cab.

I'd go for mental ease here...the path of least resistance. Try to find a deal on a one way rental to be dropped off near your destination.

Just sayin'

(Maybe some of the DEs want to pipe in here...to each his/her own)

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 42
5. Re: JAX to Avenues Mall

The good news is that the Baymeadows and Avenues areas are "new" parts of town. The bad news, as Ben P pointed out, is that everything was designed strictly for cars. You have the irony of a vast "town center" shopping center that is accessible almost only by car. I would rent the car.

Toronto Canada
6. Re: JAX to Avenues Mall

Thanks everybody. Looks like renting might be the best route.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
reviews: 13
7. Re: JAX to Avenues Mall

I completely agree with Ben and BlueRusso. You might save a little money, but the hassle wouldn't be worth it, unless you just absolutely don't have the funds to rent a car. It's very true that the area around the Avenues Mall is not pedestrian friendly. If you can't rent a car for $50 right from the airport, that is probably a better option. Of course that brings up another issue - you will need some way to get to your hotel after you drop off the rental car. Enterprise will either take you to your hotel or possible pick the car up from your hotel. Alternatively, you could see if your hotel has a suggestion. If you're staying at a Bed & Breakfast, they may be able to pick you up. At any rate, I would not go the bus route.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 129
8. Re: JAX to Avenues Mall

If you're still looking I have a trustworthy car service. Taxi Terry 904-535-8284 might be a less expensive way to go. I agree that the bus route is a challenge.

9. Re: JAX to Avenues Mall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 23, 2014