We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car with no hold or low hold on credit card

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rental car with no hold or low hold on credit card

Hello, going to be here in April to visit. Unfortunately we need all of our funds available on our credit card. Anyone know of any rental car companies that wont hold or at least only a small hold on our credit card. I have full coverage on my personal vehicle if that helps.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
1. Re: Rental car with no hold or low hold on credit card

Just because a hold is on the card doesn't mean there is a charge and/or deduction. I get holds on my Amex all the time but the balance doesn't go up/down. You should be ok. If you have company specific questions, I'd call and ask individual rental car companies.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
reviews: 12
2. Re: Rental car with no hold or low hold on credit card

Welcome to Tripadvisor forums! Ben is absolutely right - the fact that you gave the company a credit card should not affect your available funds since they are not actually 'charging' you. Let us know if you have any questions about the Jacksonville area.

Vicki

3. Re: Rental car with no hold or low hold on credit card

Thank you so much!! I feel more reassured about my trip now.

Neptune Beach, FL
reviews: 78
4. Re: Rental car with no hold or low hold on credit card

I think that can be a problem when it is a debit card instead of a credit card.

Spirit

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
5. Re: Rental car with no hold or low hold on credit card

You may be right, Spirit. Debit cards may show an actual deduction, but when it happens, it's only $1--usually just enough to make sure the debit card is actually valid/active.

Credit cards don't do that--they just put a $1.00 charge into "pending" mode, and it never actually goes through. That's how it is for Amex, and I'm sure it's the same for Visa/MasterCard/Discover.

6. Re: Rental car with no hold or low hold on credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 09, 2014