We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay in Jacksonville

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 1
Where to Stay in Jacksonville

Hi

We're planning a road trip in June from Orlando - Jacksonville -Savannah - Atlanta and heading back down the cost around Tampa etc. back to Orlando.

Can anyone advise me of the best places to stay in Jacksonville for a few days. We're confused with Downtown/Midtown etc. and not sure on the safest, interesting places to stay?

Any tips appreciated

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
1. Re: Where to Stay in Jacksonville

Downtown/Midtown terminology sounds like ATL, not JAX. JAX doesn't have a midtown (but it does have a downtown).

If you're looking for a place to stay for a few days, I'd probably either stay: (a) downtown Hyatt, (b) Hilton/Hampton on Southbank of downtown Jacksonville, (c) a bed and breakfast in Riverside/Avondale (a historic part of Jacksonville), or (d) the beaches.

For culture, food, and fun, Riverside/Avondale is the place to be right now. Tons of food, bars, nightlife, etc.

That being said, if you're set on a coastal-style trip, you may want to seriously consider staying at the beach. I recommend Atlantic Beach.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
reviews: 17
2. Re: Where to Stay in Jacksonville

If you'll let us know what you're looking for as far as what you would enjoy doing, we can suggest more specific properties. Jacksonville is very spread out (the largest city in the USA land-mass) so are you looking for shopping? Beaches?

Birmingham, United...
3. Re: Where to Stay in Jacksonville

That's really useful.. the bed and breakfast sounds nice. .

Thank you x

Jacksonville...
reviews: 306
4. Re: Where to Stay in Jacksonville

I recommend the Hilton Garden Inn off I-95. From there it's less than a mile to the San Marco Square area where you can find restaurants and Starbucks! There is free public parking available and it is an easy walk to the square for the nightlife. You can try Pizza Palace or Taverna and sit on the outdoor seating area for dinner. Then you can walk over to Starbucks or Square One for cocktails.

But if you're inclined to stay at the beach, then I would recommend One Ocean Resort at Atlantic Beach. From there, it is also a short walk to nightlife with plenty of pubs and restaurants and coffee shops. Enjoy your stay!

Birmingham, United...
5. Re: Where to Stay in Jacksonville

That's really useful.. the bed and breakfast sounds nice. .

I would say.. shopping (outlets).. id like to be close to beach and as a possibility of being here fir July 4th, would like to be close to the celebrations? ? We also like any history museums and that kind of stuff.. depending on how long we stay we may also look at driving out to other main landmarks too??

Pretty easy going really and just want to get the most out of our stay.

X

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
6. Re: Where to Stay in Jacksonville

I think you'd probably do well at the beaches, since it will be summer. Check out the Seahorse Inn - it's a bit 'campy', but very clean and it's a beaches landmark here! It's right on the ocean, and very reasonable. You would need to book soon, though, for the time you're looking for. One Ocean is very nice - it's also fairly expensive. The Seahorse and One Ocean are right next to each other in Atlantic Beach, and there are a lot of shops and restaurants in the area. The outlet malls at St. Augustine are about 35 minutes away - and if you enjoy history, St. Augustine is a must, especially if you haven't been. Enjoy!

Vicki

Birmingham, United...
7. Re: Where to Stay in Jacksonville

brilliant - thanks for the tip off... As we are not sure if we are driving from Orlando to Jacksonville first or at the end of the holiday - will it be celebrations galore for July 4th Independence day? IF so, may book up hotel for that sooner rather than hoping to find accommodation when get there?

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
8. Re: Where to Stay in Jacksonville

There will be fireworks in the downtown area and at the beaches. If you will be here for the evening of the 4th and if you intend to stay in either of those areas, it is vital that you reserve beforehand; the properties that have good views/locations for the fireworks celebrations will be booked several weeks in advance.

Vicki

Jacksonville...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
reviews: 22
9. Re: Where to Stay in Jacksonville

Given your interests, I'd recommend staying at the beach. You will be central to July 4th celebrations, and a scenic drive to historic locations.

North: There is a car ferry out of Mayport to take you to historic Kingsley Plantation, Fort Clinch, Timucuan Preserve. Beautiful drive as well.

South: Scenic drive down A1A to St. Augustine. Our nations oldest city. Plenty to see and do tourist-wise and a huge outlet mall.

Edited: 8:44 am, February 12, 2013
Birmingham, United...
10. Re: Where to Stay in Jacksonville

Hi again

Just looking to book the hotel in Jacksonville.. After researching, I am debating either: Hotels along the Riverfront (Omin/Hyatt or Crowne Plaza) OR by the Beach (Holiday Inn/Best Western etc).. The difference is 17 miles from what I can see. As we are looking at being there from 3rd July - we want to be in the middle of the atmosphere for the 4th July and we are heading back to UK on the 5th July... Which is better for things to do where we can just park up on the 3rd, leave the car at the hotel and have a look around, plenty of bars, atmosphere, chilling, shopping before setting off back in the car on the 5th..

I didn't realise there was a 17 mile difference but I am literally stuck on where to be?