We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best attraction to see with only a few hours

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
reviews: 71
Best attraction to see with only a few hours

My husband and i will be in Jacksonville next Sunday/Monday for a football game. While Sunday will be fairly busy already, we will have several hours on Monday to be a tourist. Will probably want to leave by 2PM at the latest. I have checked the "things to do" list and am wondering what the favorites are for others when there would only be a few hours. Also, we'll be needing lunch that day and wonder about a nice restaurant. We will be staying at the Hampton Inn on Prudential Drive and will have a car, but would prefer public transport if that is available.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated; we have never been to Jacksonville.

Thank you.

Joanne

Jacksonville...
reviews: 200
1. Re: Best attraction to see with only a few hours

I'd recommend using your car, not public transportation. I could go into a myriad of reasons "why" I recommend that, but that's a discussion for another time/place ;)

Anyways, since you'll be near Downtown/"the urban core," I'd recommend a few things. Take the car over the Acosta bridge and check out the Cummer Museum. Beautiful little museum right on the water--great artwork and even better gardens. Then, I'd take a relaxing drive down St. Johns Avenue, under all the nice oak trees and around the nice neighborhoods and have a quaint lunch in "downtown" Avondale (about 2 miles from your hotel). Try Biscotti's...great lunch spot, moderately priced, great decor, and outdoor seating.

Take Park Street all the way into 5 Points. Right before 5 Points, on the left, is Stockton Street. If you don't want Biscotti's, there's a great little coffee shop called Bold Bean Coffee Roasters. Since it sounds like you're in the car and will be driving back to SC, try them for to-go sandwiches and pastries. Amazing.

Take Park Street back to 5 downtown, and back to your hotel.

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 3
2. Re: Best attraction to see with only a few hours

We will be on town for the game too. Go bears!!!

Jacksonville...
reviews: 200
3. Re: Best attraction to see with only a few hours

Looks like we'll have a lot of out-of-towners that weekend! Should be fun!

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
4. Re: Best attraction to see with only a few hours

Thanks, Ben P for your suggestions. I have printed them out and will take them with us.

Also, we were told by the hotel that we could take the water taxi to the game- supposedly about a 10 minute walk to pick it up and another short walk to the game. Can you provide me with any other details about that? I'm thinking it is best not to try to drive and park at the game.

Thanks again,

Joanne

And thanks, CP, for the Go Bears. Hoping the game is a clone of the Dallas game (but it could be a trap game, so the "monsters" best beware....)

Tampa, Florida
5. Re: Best attraction to see with only a few hours

I do not have any personal experience, but our plan is the same for the game. Water taxi picks up at the landing, where we will be preparing for the game:) not too much information available on line for water taxi, but most people seem to suggest, so it seems the way to go.

Yeah I am worried about this game too. Hopefully since we have a bye next week we won't be looking forward too much. I have a feeling bear nation will be representing like they did in Dallas on Monday!

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
6. Re: Best attraction to see with only a few hours

Thanks, CP. I'll ask hotel desk about how to get to the landing.

Yes, we Bear fans travel well!! I went to the Bills-Bears game when it was in Toronto a couple of years ago and there were more Bears' fans than Bills' fans, even though they were the "home team." Now that I live only a couple of hours from JAX, I do like to root for them (Jags), but not this week.

Bear Down.

Tampa, Florida
7. Re: Best attraction to see with only a few hours

CP- just an FYI I think the water taxi picks up a couple of other spots in the river depending on your hotel. The Landing is by our hotel and we are doing some "tailgating" there before we head to the game. If u don't know, the landing is just a complex by the river that has some restaurants/bars...

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
8. Re: Best attraction to see with only a few hours

Thanks.

Jacksonville...
9. Re: Best attraction to see with only a few hours

We have a pretty nice zoo. yelp.com/biz/jacksonville-zoo-and-gardens-ja…

Dublin
reviews: 67
10. Re: Best attraction to see with only a few hours

Hi,

Hope you enjoyed Jacksonville. Can you let me know how you got on with the water taxi to the game as we are going on December 23rd to see New England Patriots Game and it would be great if we could use it