We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Key West, Florida
Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

BEWARE! Dollar now charges a $15.00 reservation change fee to those that are not members of Dollar Express, should you find yourself changing your reservation less than 24 hours of your scheduled reservation. You won't find it listed in FAQ on their website, so be careful. This happened to me at the Jacksonville, FL airport, even though I asked the agent if my rate would change, which he assured me it would not.... They also require proof of refueling within 10 miles of airport, or they will charge you lots more...

18 replies to this topic
Jacksonville...
reviews: 200
1. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

Thanks for the heads up

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
reviews: 12
2. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

Wow! Thanks for letting us know. We will be sure to pass that info along to travelers who are asking about rental car companies. Sorry you had a bad experience with them...hope you enjoyed Jax!

Vicki

tampa fl
reviews: 3
3. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

I rented a car from Dollar last week. When getting the car, the associate asked if I wanted insurance. Both my daughter and I simultaneously said "no"! Anxious to be on our way, I didn't realize that she had given us insurance we absolutely did not want. It cost me a small fortune.

This company is slimey. Beware is correct!!!!!! Go elsewhere.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 60
4. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

I would have fought that insurance charge but I haven't had problems yet but i will be on my toes.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
reviews: 12
5. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

That's unfortunate. It's a great reminder to all of us to read what we're paying for before signing anything. After you sign and leave - you have no recourse. So sorry you got caught with that!

West Palm Beach...
6. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

La verdad que no recomiendo para nada esta compania!!!! parese todo muy barato pero los cargos por seguro son muchisimos, ademas el deposito de $250 dolares no te lo devuelven en el momento de devolucion del auto, te lo retienen por 10 diaz habiles y nunca te avisan que eso va a pasar!! la verdad malisomo servicio!!! Horribleeeee!!!

Edited: 12:51 pm, June 07, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 27
7. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

I used Advantage, which was fine and much lower than other rates. I recommend it.

8. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

Understand your frustration! My mom who is here, Jax area visiting family she hasn't seen in over a year was told she HAD to take the insurance before being allowed the car...it was late and she was tired, she had said many times I have full coverage, I dont want it! He made it sound, or even said too bad she must take it! Then on top of that he charged, conned her into prepaying for a tank of gas...of course at a reduced price! Haha she was able to remove the insurance but it cost her another trip to the airport, not something one wants to do when they just get to their destination! This will be the one and only time Dollar is used, scamming people out of money is no way to do business!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 23
9. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

" I didn't realize that she had given us insurance we absolutely did not want. It cost me a small fortune."

How did they get away with that without your signature on the contract? Did you possibly sign it without reading what you were signing?

10. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

She did sign it, she was led to believe she couldnt have the car until she accepted it. My husband who travels often for work assured her she did not have to take it, she said he, the worker at Dollar told me I did and it didnt matter that I have full coverage...she thought maybe it had to do with a Fl law. She then called the next morning and was told it could be removed but she had to come back, couldn't be done over the phone...she said the girl was very nice and wondered if this happens often by her actions, it was late at night when her flight finally came in, she didn't have many options. Its sad when you try to refuse a service thats supposed to be optional only to be told you must pay for it...same thing with the gas, wasn't given an option to fill it up herself! She had SUCKER written all over her face and he took advantage!

Reply to: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted