We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining near Crowne Plaza Riverfront hotel

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 17
Dining near Crowne Plaza Riverfront hotel

I am staying them for a conference and my mom is thinking of coming with me since it is her birthday. Is there dining that is reasonable near that location that she can walk to or how is getting around without a car for her.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 27
1. Re: Dining near Crowne Plaza Riverfront hotel

most of the dining that is within walking distance is upscale (Ruth Chris onsite, River City Brewing, Chart House and The Wine Cellar), but she can take the Skyway or water taxi to the Jacksonville Landing on the other side of the river. There is also dining and shopping just a short taxi ride away in San Marco, and Riverside. If she does choose the Landing, I suggest a short walk up Laura Street (directly in front of the Landing) to Chamblin's Bookmine, and The Museum of Contemporary Art. Both are interesting Jacksonville landwarks with cafes.

Neptune Beach, FL
reviews: 89
2. Re: Dining near Crowne Plaza Riverfront hotel

Hi Mar,

The Crowne Plaza is right next to the blue Main Street Bridge. It's a delightful walk over the bridge with great views, and right on the other side of the bridge to the left is The Landing with its bright orange roof. There are a couple restaurants in that area and upstairs in The Landing there is a food court.

Here's a picture of the blue Main Street Bridge with your hotel next to it: www.flickr.com/photos/blueorca/3930976964/

And here's a picture of The Landing that was taken from the bridge: destination360.com/north-america/us/florida/…

(The Landing is big building complex on the river with restaurants a few shops. It's a popular meeting place. Great views of the river from there! )

From The Landing, it is just under 1 1/2 miles farther along the river to the Cummer Gallery of Art and Gardens. Nice museum. Nice garden on the river. Great gift shop. You can also eat there. (Free 4-9 p.m. on Tuesdays.)

There are long pedestrian walks on both sides of the river.

Just a couple blocks up Laura Street from The Landing there is the big Jacksonville Library in between the Chamblin Bookmine (big new and used bookstore) and the Museum of Contemporary Art with its nice restaurant, Nola.

And your mother could take a city bus to the beach at the end of Atlantic Blvd for a meal and light shopping. There are many restaurants to choose from in a small area there.

Your mother will enjoy herself!

Spirit

Edited: 4:18 pm, August 16, 2012
Chicago
reviews: 17
3. Re: Dining near Crowne Plaza Riverfront hotel

thanks I found some info on the skyway and trolley which is perfect for my mom.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
4. Re: Dining near Crowne Plaza Riverfront hotel

I'm in the minority, but I recommend renting a car and/or taking a cab to Riverside/Avondale or San Marco for the best food. Both are 5 minute drives.

In San Marco: Taverna, bb's, Wine Cellar, the Grotto, Matthews...

In Riverside/Avondale: Orsay, Biscotti's, Brick, Casbah, Pele's Wood Fire, Cozy Tea (Indian food)...

p.s...While the Landing LOOKS nice, the food is awful. Not a lot of Jacksonville residents visit there unless it's to tailgate, pregame, or get drunk.

If you must eat downtown, I'd try Indochine (Thai) or La Cena (Italian).

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
reviews: 54
5. Re: Dining near Crowne Plaza Riverfront hotel

If she's not looking for anything fancy, and under $7....

Across the street from the Crowne Plaza is a little place called Sake House that has a nice, inexpensive lunch menu. It's to the left of the bank. Directly across the street is the SteinMart building. If she walks through the bank's ATM drive through and crosses the street - towards the right and across the street is Appetites Cafe, and to the Left is Southern Grill (across from Southern Grill is the people mover). I prefer Appetites over Southern Grill cause you don't end up smelling like BBQ when you leave. Both get crazy crowded at lunch time but she could always get it to go and eat out on the walkway by the river at the hotel. These both serve breakfast as well.

A little further walk, but still easy to get to is BBs and Tidbits both on Hendricks. Walking down Hendricks she would pass BBs first and Tidbits is just a little further down on the right.

Of the places I've mentioned thus far, BBs has the nicest atmosphere and is the most expensive. On Fridays a Super Food Truck lunch truck shows up across the street from the hotel - great additions when they started showing up about 3 weeks ago. : )

Venturing across the Main Street bridge (blue bridge) someone mentioned Indochin, right next to it is Burrito Gallery another solid lunch spot that's an easy walk. These are both on Adams St, just to the right off of Main St. Walking a little further past these two still on Adams (away from Main) is CHOMP just past the intersection of Ocean and Adams. Burro Bar is on the corner next to it. : )

The Landing - I wouldn't bother with it. Too many other lil spots to try out in the area.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
reviews: 54
6. Re: Dining near Crowne Plaza Riverfront hotel

oh, avoid the cafe in the Crowne plaza ... it's awful!

7. Re: Dining near Crowne Plaza Riverfront hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, August 20, 2013