We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Suggestions Near Jacksonville University?

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Hotel Suggestions Near Jacksonville University?

I will be taking my daughter down to Jacksonville, Florida next month to get her set-up for the beginning of her freshman year at Jacksonville, University. A very exciting time, filled with check-lists and lots of planning. As a part of that planning, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for hotels in relatively close proximity to JU? I plan to spend about a week in the area. I've read some of the past posts on this particular topic, but could only find ones that are at least year old. Just wondering if the same information applies or if there are any new suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 45
1. Re: Hotel Suggestions Near Jacksonville University?

JU is a reputable small university in a lovely location, but its neighborhood was deteriorating by the mid 1990s and seems not to have improved since. You probably need to utilize one of the hotels downtown, find something along State Road 9A (the Interstate-grade north-south expressway east of JU), or just go to the beach.

Neptune Beach, FL
reviews: 89
2. Re: Hotel Suggestions Near Jacksonville University?

Hi SunnyGirl,

I agree with BueRusso. There is no hotel near JU, and the nearest ones you wouldn't want to say in.

Suggest you just go to the beach and have a nice, fun location at which to spend the last few days with your daughter before school starts. Suggest you consider the Seahorse Oceanfront Inn, or Ocean One Hotel (but that one is overpriced), at the end of Atlantic Blvd. Of the beach hotels, they would be closest to JU - about 25 minutes away. About two miles farther south are the Comfort Inn and Courtyard Marriott in Jacksonville Beach. Both are on the ocean. The Fairfield is inland across from the Marriott.

Have a fun trip, and good luck to your daughter!

Spirit

Jacksonville, FL
reviews: 23
3. Re: Hotel Suggestions Near Jacksonville University?

The beach is lovely but it is a pretty far drive from JU. From experience of moving to college, you will probably be making frequent trips to the school for orientation activities and moving into the dorm room. I'd stay in downtown which is just 15 minutes away. The Omni Hotel is very nice and so is the Hyatt.

http://www.downtownjacksonvillehotels.com

Does JU offer recommendations on where parents should stay? You could ask them too. :)

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
reviews: 14
4. Re: Hotel Suggestions Near Jacksonville University?

I think that this has been pretty well answered, but as a JU alumni, I wanted to reply :)

First...congrats to your daughter. My entire experience at JU, both undergrad and masters' degrees, was wonderful!

It is true that there really are no hotels in the area. If you're looking for the closest, one of the downtown hotels will fit the bill. There's also a Hampton Inn on Prudential Drive that would likely be less expensive, and only about 10-15 minutes from the campus. If you're interested in this one, I can give you better directions.

It would definitely be a lot of fun to stay at the beach - JU is about a 30-minute drive from our beaches.

Please feel free to send me a private message if you would like my phone number. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions about what to find around the campus, etc. (I live close to the river only about 5 minutes from the campus, so I know the area very well).

I think your daughter will love JU!

Vicki

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
reviews: 14
5. Re: Hotel Suggestions Near Jacksonville University?

There is now a great hotel five minutes from JU! If you haven't already made your trip, this hotel is in close proximity. We are actually staying here right now waiting on our air-conditioning to be fixed. It's the Candlewood Suites, and it's only 4 months old, so everything is new and clean. Our room rate is $79 per night, and the rooms are spacious, have a full-sized refrigerator, 2-burner stove, microwave, dishwasher, iron and ironing board. We've been super comfortable here and we've had absolutely no problems. The address is 2700 Jane Street, and the phone number is 904-744-1244. You literally drive down one street (Merrill Road) straight into the entrance of JU. There's also a small gym, and you can do your laundry free. We have been very impressed and I wanted to share it with you. You won't find anything closer to the university, and I can now vouch for this hotel. I knew that it was here, but not having been inside, I really couldn't recommend it...now I'm happy to! Hope this helps!

Vicki

Jacksonville...
reviews: 55
6. Re: Hotel Suggestions Near Jacksonville University?

That's good to know, Vicki! Thanks for sharing..... :)

Ponte Vedra Beach...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Hotel Suggestions Near Jacksonville University?

Hi,

Whenever you are in Jacksonville visiting your daughter, the Hampton Inn Ponte Vedra off Marsh Landing Parkway is a great hotel and it has a specail UNF rate of $79.00 that includes a full breakfast and internet service!

8. Re: Hotel Suggestions Near Jacksonville University?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 05, 2011