We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we move to FL from NH?

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 30
Should we move to FL from NH?

Hi everyone. My husband and I have lived in NH for the past 6+ years, after living in Calif for 22 years (11 in San Francisco and 11 in So. CA - Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley). Moved back to NH for family reasons. We're very young 55 and 69 year olds and have had it w/ the snow! We've never been to JAX or St. Augustine but have been reading lots about them. We love neighborhoods where we can walk to a few restaurants or just walk, in general. We do love the ocean, but don't have to live on it. We just like to know it's there. We like movies, theatre, festivals, fairs, outdoor events, etc. We will most likely have to keep working and am not sure if we want to buy or rent just yet. Are there houses or townhouses to rent in the under $2,000 a month range where we are within walking distance of "things?" If we do decide to buy, we are not interested in a fixer-upper (already did that years ago). Are there new or fairly new homes in the $250-350,000 range that aren't out in the middle of a golf-course community? We don't mind the homes in the newer developments, but they are always so far away that you end up driving everywhere. We'd love 3 bedrooms/ 2 baths and garage. I know I've asked a lot of questions, but after reading posts on both the JAX and St. Augustine sites, we're still a little confused. Also wondering about rates for car insurance, home/ renter insurance, general cost of living. I understand that the salaries are quite a bit lower. I've been Exec Asst to CEOs for 20+ years now. Guess we'd better take a trip down there and explore. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Neptune Beach, FL
reviews: 89
1. Re: Should we move to FL from NH?

We have very little snow here but we do have the threat of hurricanes!

Prices of property here in Jacksonville's beach communities start at over $350,000. Prices are escalating as if money had no meaning. A neighbor bought half a duplex for $290,000 five years ago and is selling it now for $1,200,000.

The city is very large. You would need to visit and drive around.

2. Re: Should we move to FL from NH?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:07 am, December 09, 2005
Florida
reviews: 30
3. Re: Should we move to FL from NH?

Thanks to you both for your feedback!