We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conference in Jacksonville

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
reviews: 3
Conference in Jacksonville

My husband and I are attending a Pastors conference at First Baptist Jacksonville for 5 nights the end of Jan thru the 3rd of Feb. We will have most afternoons free. Say from lunch time to dinner time. We are looking for fun and different things to do during those afternoon hours. We are in our early 40's and aren't ones to sit around and do nothing. So shopping. museums, etc...would interest us.

Thanks for your help!!

Neptune Beach, FL
reviews: 87
1. Re: Conference in Jacksonville

Hi wife!

Dedicate one afternoon and evening to St. Augustine which is an hour south of Jacksonville. (Take the trolley all the way around the city once, then go back to places that interest you. Check out the St. Augustine tripadvisor forum.) You could take A1A, the beach road, to get to St. Augustine. That's the scenic route.

Spend an afternoon/evening in Fernandina/Amelia. You could include a brief stop at the old Kingsley Plantation enroute.

In Jacksonville: the Cummer Museum (art) is a very nice place. It's free Tuesdays after 4:00 p.m. and closes at 9:00.

-There's a Museum of Contemporary Art just a block or two from the First Baptist Church.

-The Landing is on the river within walking distance from the First Baptist Church. There is a food court for a quick meal there, and a few other restaurants but I don't recommend any of them. You can sit outside with the beautiful view of the river and the traffic on the river and the bridges.

-The Karpeles Maunscript Museum is also very near your Church.

-Come out to Jacksonville's beaches. The area at the end of Atlantic Blvd is quite nice with restaurants and small shops. Atlantic Blvd divides Atlantic Beach from Neptune Beach. Ragtime Restaurant is always good and has nice atmosphere. The other main beach area is at the end of Beach Blvd. That is where the younger, more party oriented crowd tends to go.

-The Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra has a classical music concert on Friday evening , January 29, and a different concert on Saturday evening, January 30, which is Woodstock's Greatest Hits. The concert hall is on the river next to The Landing. jaxsymphony.org/concerts/Friday-Fusion-Frenc…

-European Street cafe's have small, intimate concerts on Thursday and Saturday evenings at 8:30 p.m.: Riverside Guitar Quartet on Thursdays, January 28, and a different group at the other cafe on Saturday, January 30. http://www.myspace.com/mclewentertainment. European Street cafes have very extensive menues of good sandwiches so you can eat before or during the concert. http://www.myspace.com/mclewentertainment

-There are malls for shopping too but there is probably nothing in them that you can't buy at home. The Avenues Mall has large and small stores and is fully enclosed so you can stay warm and dry, or cool. The Town Center has multiple small and large independent stores with their own buildings and restaurants that are spread out over a number of acres.

Enjoy your stay,

Spirit

Florida
reviews: 12
2. Re: Conference in Jacksonville

You could also go to the zoo: http://www.jacksonvillezoo.org

It's about 15 minutes away, 8 miles to the north off I-95.

Jacksonville...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
reviews: 17
3. Re: Conference in Jacksonville

Don't forget the Museum of Science and History (MOSH). It is just across the river from the church, next to the Main Street Bridge. They have a wonderful exhibit on the history of Jacksonville.

The St. Johns Town Center is a fun mall to go to. It's an outdoor, pedestrian mall. There are a lot of restaurants, and if it's a beautiful day, it is fun to sit on their patios and watch the people walk by.

I hope that you have a nice trip!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
reviews: 13
4. Re: Conference in Jacksonville

I sure can't add much to all these great suggestions. I will tell you, though, that you are going to have an incredible time at the pastor's conference at FBC. We attended there for several years, and I am currently a church choral director (not at First, though).

If you'd like a 'different' sort of experience, we are involved in the beginning stages of a church plant under a pastor who started a large church here in Jacksonville, then moved to inner-city Indianapolis and started another church and he has now returned to Jax to start a church at our beaches area.

The first 'pre-service' will be January 31 at Ocean One, a very nice resort right on the beach here. You might find it very interesting to see what he's doing and how he's going about this. If you and your husband would like to meet a very dynamic pastor who has a heart for this type of ministry, we would love to introduce you to him. If you have any additional 'church' questions, feel free to email me at vickisfloyd@hotmail.com. We're pretty involved in that area here.

I would absolutely spend an afternoon and evening in St. Augustine. Chances are you'll meet another couple or two who would like to join you after the pastor's conference activities are over for the day.

I know that this trip will be a super blessing for you!

Vicki

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 42
5. Re: Conference in Jacksonville

The recommendations about cover things. The Cummer has some quite impressive paintings in its collection and a remarkable collection of early German porcelain--high tech of the 18th century. The collection survived the firebombing of Hamburg in World War II.

Even better, the Cummer's garden on the riverfront is a wonder, in part because it's been lovingly tended for so many years (it's older than the museum).

There are several interesting examples of church architecture in town. I recall Church of the Good Shepherd's interior as looking more Gothic than some real medieval churches.

http://www.goodshepherd23.org/index.html

Near it is a gem: Riverside Baptist, designed by an enterprising architect/developer of the 1920s Florida boom (he invented Boca Raton). The exterior looks nice enough, but interior is amazing. You'd think it had been there since the Ostrogoths and Visigoths were on the loose.

http://www.rbcjax.com/

Out at the beach, Beach United Methodist has a neat old sanctuary built of coquina rock (the same stuff as the Castillo in St Augustine) and an architecturally inventive new campus by a prominent modernist Jacksonville architect.

6. Re: Conference in Jacksonville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 28, 2010