We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to explore for a day northeast of Gettysburg?

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
reviews: 5
Where to explore for a day northeast of Gettysburg?

My wife and 8 year old son will be arriving in Baltimore on March 18th at about 4pm. We are thinking about then driving to Gettysburg and checking in to the "lodges at Gettysburg" for two nights. We will have the 19th to spend touring the Gettysburg area. We will then be checking out early the morning of the 20th. I would like to spend the 20th touring southern Pennsylvania on our way back to Baltimore that night. I would like my wife to see the beauty and charm of the small towns and country side, as we make our way back to Baltimore. I would also like to experience some Amish areas if there are any along our way. I would see us driving northeast out of Gettysburg for the day, then turning south that evening for Baltimore.....Can anyone throw me advice as to where we might drive and where we might stop along our drive from Gettysburg to Baltimore?

Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
reviews: 82
1. Re: Where to explore for a day northeast of Gettysburg?

I would suggest either Hershey or Lancaster, although both are not on a direct route from Gettysburg to Baltimore. In Hershey you could visit Hershey's Chocolate World, ZooAmerica, The Hershey Story (museum), and take the Hershey Trolley Works tour. These attractions would give you a good overview of Hershey.

Lancaster offers a variety of attractions. If you search TA, there are many posts with suggested routes to drive the back roads of Lancaster County to see Amish farms, etc. The Countryside Roadstand is owned by the Amish and has great soft pretzels. If your son likes trains, the Strasburg Railroad is a great way to see some of the country side. The Railroad Museum, National Toy Train Museum, and Choo Choo Barn are nearby.

Given you only have one day, you will need to decide what interests you most.

lehigh valley
reviews: 9
2. Re: Where to explore for a day northeast of Gettysburg?

Good advice from Flyeagle. The Amish live throughout Eastern and Southern Lancaster County, but the tourist infrastructure is primarily in the area east of Lancaster, between Routes 741 and 23, and clustered around Routes 30(very touristy) and 340. The Amish live in the country, not in small towns, although you will see them driving through and shopping in such towns as Strasburg, Intercourse and Bird In Hand

Check the tourist website www.padutchcountry.com for things that would interest your family-there is enough for several days, so you will have to concentrate on what interests you most.

Countryside Road Stand (reviewed on this site under" Ronks") is an excellent stop to stretch your legs as is the also Amish owned Riehls Quilts (reviewed in ths site under 'Leola") which is about a half mile away, and is the largest Amish owned Quilt and craft shop.

Edited: 10:19 am, November 05, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 36
3. Re: Where to explore for a day northeast of Gettysburg?

You do need to have a route planned in advance to see the countryside or you will end up on a highway with outlet malls.

There are some towns between balt and Gburg. They range from so small that you already missed it to Hanover or Littlestown which have some charm in a kind of rundown way to Westminster which is a very quaint county seat with some nice restaurants along main st (not rt 140). Or You could go south on 15 into Thurmont which is a cute little town and maybe have dinner in Frederick. If you take rt 26 between Frederick and I 695, you pass some lovely countryside which is very different from PHX if that is your goal.

Phoenix
4. Re: Where to explore for a day northeast of Gettysburg?

I think I might do some research and find a good rout through Lancaster county. "Flyeagle" also recommended Hershey, but that's not quite what we are looking for this trip. We will have the entire day to drive from Gettysburg to Baltimore, so a slow drive via Lancaster might just work! My wife is from Mexico and she has never seen this part of the country. She watches the ghost hunter shows on TV, and they often feature rural areas from this neck of the woods. Can't wait to take her there!

lehigh valley
reviews: 9
5. Re: Where to explore for a day northeast of Gettysburg?

If you take route 772 from Lititz to Gap, you will traverse some interesting areas.

Lititz is a charming small town with good restaurants and interesting shops.South and east of Lititz, 772 goes through primarily farmland and some small villagers(Rothsville ,Brownstown, Talmadge) South of Leola, you go through the heart of the Amish country. Both the Amish Shops I recommended, Countryside Road Stands and Riehls are about a mile off of 772

Intercouse, where 772 crosses route 340 is quaint/touristy with many craftshops and some good food shops(kItchen Kettle Jam, Intercourse Canning) It should not be crowded mid-week in March and you may well see Amish folks shopping, especially at the Hardware store and Fabric store..

You are not coming at a very scenic time of year(no crops in field, no leaves on trees), but you should see Amish farmers plowing with mules and horses(weather permitting).

Edited: 6:34 am, November 07, 2013
Phoenix
6. Re: Where to explore for a day northeast of Gettysburg?

Awsome! Can't wait. I will look closely at the rout you posted.. Thanks!

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
7. Re: Where to explore for a day northeast of Gettysburg?

Arguably the most beautiful location in southeast PA is Longwood Gardens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longwood_Gardens

Connecticut
reviews: 68
8. Re: Where to explore for a day northeast of Gettysburg?

Hopefully you understand you will be traveling during Winter and the weather will play an important part in what is open and what you can see. There can be snow and/or ice storms in March and it probably will be cold, so be prepared.

While I particularly like route 772 and Lancaster, the Amish people should never be considered objects on display for the tourists. Their goods are outstanding and worth buying. Take the suggestions listed in other forums for the best places to shop. Remember, none are open on Sunday. I would consider the Brandywine Valley as an alternative as both Longwood Gardens and Winterthur would have indoor areas to explore. You could also see the Wyatt paintings at Brandywine River Museum and explore quaint shops in nearby Chadds Ford and West Chester.

Reply to: Where to explore for a day northeast of Gettysburg?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted