We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation planning, need advice.

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vacation planning, need advice.

Hi, me and my fiancee and planning an anniversary trip to Gettysburg, sept 2-4. Just a little getaway.

We know we defintely want to do some ghost hunting, and we are getting alot of mixed reviews about them. Any insight?

We also have alot of people telling us we can roam about and sort of conduct our own investigations at night, while others are telling us you can't get into any of the grounds after dark.

We also heard the tour is only worth it if you go inside of somewhere, and not just the fields??

I also saw about the Victorian photo shop that looks great, and something about a wax museum?

We defintely need some things to see, "must haves" and the best places to eat.

Any and all advice, information is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so very much!!

Vicki

Harrisburg, PA
reviews: 41
1. Re: Vacation planning, need advice.

The Battlefield itself is part of the Nationsl Patk system and closes at night. The town itself obviously however is accessible and there are many stories which surround the college and other areas of town.

Mark Nesbitt's Ghosts of Gettysburg I've heard mentioned several times - might be worth investigating. Matk's also written a series of short books which chronicle a number of ghost stories about the town if that's of interest - they are available online at last check.

I consider the visitor's center a not to miss item.

As for places to stay/eat, I'll leave that to others since I rarely eat there and as a local, just day trip it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 43
2. Re: Vacation planning, need advice.

Ghost tour... if you like them, then you will enjoy, if you don't buy into to concept you won't. Basically it comes down to how entertaining your guide is.

Search restaurants in the box above and read reviews.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 247
3. Re: Vacation planning, need advice.

Make sure you make an appointment for Victorian Photo Studio, you will have a great time and they do a great job in preserving your vacation in a period photograph you will enjoy for years to come! Enjoy your trip!

reviews: 33
4. Re: Vacation planning, need advice.

If you can get a room at the Inn at Herr Ridge do it! Great atmosphere,very clean and the breakfast is great. Plus it was there during the battle so you are staying in a piece of history.

Pittsburgh
reviews: 1
5. Re: Vacation planning, need advice.

You can roam the battlefield until 10PM.

6. Re: Vacation planning, need advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 08, 2014