We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middletown
trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.

We are planning a trip the second week of sept. to Gettysburg and I need motel ,restaurant, and sites and things not to miss besides the battlefield of course.

We would like to take a historical walking tour not so much a "actual" ghost tour but more to learn about life back then.

We plan on going on a monday and staying two nights ,three days.

9 replies to this topic
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
reviews: 82
1. Re: trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.

My family enjoyed visiting the Eisenhower National Historic Site in Gettysburg. You purchase the tickets at the Gettysburg National Park Visitor's Center and take a shuttle bus to the Eisenhower farm.

http://www.nps.gov/eise/index.htm

Williamston...
reviews: 79
2. Re: trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.

Since you have a pretty good amount of time, take your time and explore all of the battlefield. Most people probably just do it in a few hours, but really, one could spend longer on it. Definitely start with the Museum and Visitor Center to get an overview of the battle and to see the wonderful Cyclorama painting. Afterwards, there are many different options for touring the battlefield. Some like hiring a licensed battlefield guide to drive them around in their own car for a personalized tour. Others opt to go on a guided bus tour. Many opt to do a self guided auto tour, with or without a CD to describe the sites. There are also Segway, horseback, and bike tours. Perhaps you could do one tour to get the history and another one just for a fun time.

I don't know about historical walking tours, but perhaps the Shriver House and the David Wills House and the Jennie Wade House may give some insight into civilian life of the time.

I've only been to one hotel, the Hilton Garden Inn, and it was a very nice modern hotel. Also had a 24 hour grocery store behind it.

I've only been to one restaurant, General Pickett's Buffet. I enjoyed the food and it was reasonably priced.

As for other sites, the Gettysburg Museum of History on Baltimore Street is an eclectic mix of artifacts ranging from the Civil War to WW2 to Elvis and JFK. With an entrance fee of nothing, you can't really miss.

Middletown
3. Re: trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.

thanks for the advice.

Can a person see parts of the battle field like jeb stewart fighting custer and colps hill ?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 242
4. Re: trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.

A motel recommedation- Americas Best Value Inn on Steinwehr street . Walking distance to restaurants & shops. An older property, but very well maintained with an outdoor pool. Very fair room rates too for Gettysburg!

Gettysburg PA
reviews: 18
5. Re: trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.

The battlefield is about 26 square miles. Get a map or go on a guided tour, tell the guide what you want to see. There are also new town guides who walk you around town and talk about the civilian experience. They are also licensed.

Middletown
6. Re: trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.

Dear Imalocal, how to i find a web site or get info for the town guides about the civilian experience tours ?

Gettysburg PA
reviews: 18
7. Re: trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.

here is their website http://www.gettysburgpa.org/guidedtour.htm

Williamston...
reviews: 79
8. Re: trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.

You can see plenty of the battlefield, in fact you can pretty much walk over most of it. There's an observation tower on Culp's Hill. J.E.B. Stuart fought Custer over at the East Calvary Field. That's located about 4 miles from the Visitor's Center and is not contiguous with the rest of the main battlefield, and is not on the regular auto tour, so it probably doesn't get as many visitors, but it is available for viewing. You can walk across the field where Pickett's Charge took place, stand on Little Round Top, or climb over the rocks of Devil's Den.

9. Re: trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, August 24, 2013

Reply to: trip advice needed for gettysburg pa.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted